To The People Who Overshare

To The People Who Overshare

Social media isn't a diary.

627
To The People Who Overshare
Handbag Mafia

There is always at least one person who you wish would just keep their hands off that keyboard. You know; the ones that feel the need to document every moment of their lives on every part social media humanly possible? Maybe you are one of these people. If you are, then congratulations. This article is for you.

First of all, stop. Just stop. Take your hands off your phone and close out of Facebook or Snapchat or Instagram or whatever other apps you have open right now. I'll wait.

The worst part about oversharing is the impulse. Something momentous happens in your life, good or bad (but most often, bad, from what I've seen, so that's what we're going to talk about.) and you just have to share it with the world. Before you even stop to think about it, you've dumped 500 characters of angst onto Facebook. Or posted an equally angsty picture on Instagram or Snapchat. Or a litany of posts on Twitter. You've poured out your heart and soul and breathe a sigh of relief. It feels good to get it out. For now.

What you don't realize is that other people won't just see your post, they will react to it. Not only that, but you have no way of knowing what that reaction will be. It could be positive, sure, and you will finally have the attention you crave. That's fine to some extent, of course. Everyone wants to feel like they are being heard and cared for. But not everyone will give you that satisfaction. When you post, you aren't concerned with the fact that everyone on your friends list will see it. Your family members on social media might see it and get worried or upset, which is unfair to them. Friends that you forgot you had or may even be feuding with could see it and take the opportunity to respond negatively or bully you. Other friends will see it that may be going through a rough time themselves and become even more upset from seeing your post. Think of these things before you share, and remember that not everyone will meet you with a supportive response.

Finally, if you are having a hard time or have the impulse to post how you feel and document everything going wrong in your life on social media, avoid going on social media until you feel better again. I know it sounds difficult, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that just scrolling through your Facebook feed or Instagram or anything else can be depressing. If things are rough, seeing others' lives going, seemingly, so much better than yours, can be depressing. Instead of going on social media, talk to a parent, family member, or friend for support. Talking to someone you are close with rather than the entirety of your friends list ensures that you will be met with positive feedback and helpful advice to hopefully get through whatever it is that you are dealing with. It also ensures that you won't feel insane amounts of regret for sharing why you are upset with the whole world.

My point isn't that wanting support and attention is wrong; it's that you need to find in a safe environment. And I will tell you right now, social media is not that environment. You never know with the Internet, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.