A Letter To My Team

To My Team, I Hope You Know How Truly Grateful I Am For You

I am so grateful to have been a part of this team, as each of them has shaped me as the leader I am today.

502
Destiny Rasmussen

I am actually sort of emotional as I sit here and think about how when I graduate in less than two months, I won't be apart of Odyssey anymore. It's soul-crushing, in a way. One day I'll have to pass the baton down and move on with my life, but I just need to say thank you to my team and know that I am eternally grateful for all of you.

I transferred to Illinois State University during my junior year and I was actively searching for ways to get involved on campus. I knew Greek life was not for me, but I yearned for a community to belong too while making new friends and searching for that creative outlet to be myself. I had always loved creative writing and looked forward to speaking my mind when possible. I joined Odyssey in September of 2017 and became the Editor in Chief by the fall semester of 2018.

As of today, I hold the highest position of power being the President. Being the President is truly something I never thought would happen to a girl like me. I was never super involved in school. Sure, I played some sports in high school and was apart of clubs here and there, but I never thought I would hold a position of power in a student organization throughout my college life.

Becoming President has been the biggest honor I could have received. it has allowed me to grow as a person, as a student, and as a mentor to so many around me. I am able to practice techniques such as recruiting and overseeing production for my team as a whole, and those skills will be so valuable to me once I graduate with my business degree. Sure, it has definitely been overwhelming at times, but I really would not have changed it for the world.

I am able to be a part of something bigger than myself. My favorite thing is knowing that there is always a person to talk too, always a community to support you, and honestly, always a friend when you need it. My team is just that. They seriously are perfect.

I am so grateful to have been a part of this team, as each of them has shaped me as the leader I am today. Odyssey has given me such great bonds with many different people, as I have created strong friendships with people I never would have met otherwise. I'm really going to miss them once I graduate. I'm going to miss our rants on "The Bachelor," and of course our coffee dates every Wednesday.

I think the best part about Odyssey is not only being able to share your voice amongst a greater audience, but how you are able to meet so many new, creative, and overall different people that you may have never met if you were not apart of our team. Overall being apart of something bigger than yourself is a life-changing experience, and I would recommend to anybody to find that in their lives.