To My Sisters 4000 Miles Away

To My Sisters 4000 Miles Away

Liberté, égalité, sororité.

18
To My Sisters 4000 Miles Away
Rebecca Schwendau

For the past few months, I've woken up to a crazy amount of notifications from Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook about everything y'all have been doing. It started with Founder's Day and recruitment, then slowly edged forward to Initiation, Sink or Swim and now, Greek Week.

I'm definitely underestimating when I say I vicariously live through each one of you and your posts because I miss y'all that much. When I rushed back in the fall, then two weeks later decided I'd be gone in the Spring, I didn't consider the impact Theta would have on me. As the deadlines got closer and the semester came to an end, I felt myself getting sadder about leaving everything behind for five months.

The very first weekend here when we walked around and saw the mountains, I threw up our letters and made my first Theta post - 4,000 miles away from y'all. As the semester continued on and on, and I realized how much I was missing out on it pulled at my heart strings a little bit. The women I was so used to seeing every Monday night, greek event, Starbucks, or just walking around campus weren't with me anymore. I couldn't just call up a sister and ask her to hang out or eat lunch with. Instead, I was stuck six hours ahead in an alternate world where they don't understand sororities very well.

The turning point that made me miss y'all the most is when my professor told us to write a poem. Instantly, I knew I could do the assignment since I write poems so often but it was difficult to choose who it was about. Mom, Dad, Alex, John, Harley, etc.? There were endless possibilities but as soon as I thought Theta (what a pun) I started writing. In the short months that I was an active Theta on campus, I felt love all the time. Whether it was two in the afternoon walking to class, Applebee's brownie dates or 1 am calls about mean girls - there was an impact, a positive one at that.

I turned in my poem only for it to be read aloud a week later and my professor to ask if I missed the women I called sisters. Now, my French isn't the greatest but I was at least able to say one thing, that you are truly my real sisters. Each and every single one of you has made me proud to call you a sister and to share our special bond with. I see how hard y'all work in and outside of school, your dedication to Theta and your beliefs, and just how dang cute y'all are. Keep doing what you're doing girls because that's what makes us so unique.

The semester is finally coming to a close and the months have turned into weeks and days that I return home. In 27 days, I get to see the beautiful faces that I share more than just letters with. Until I can see y'all again - Theta love and all of mine.

*Poem Translated From Class*

Pour Vous, Mes Amies (For you, my friends)

I learned about you, I stayed with you.

You opened your arms to me, and we became friends.

You taught me your secrets, your songs, your love.

Without you, I wouldn't be me, you feel the same, of course.

It was a long time before, I understand what you meant to me.

You're not just my friends, you're my sisters.

Words translated change how the poem is written - this is just a general idea.