To My Parents: Now That You're Empty Nesters

Grab A Tissue, & Enjoy The Ride

37

I always hated hearing people ask my parents how they felt to have the house completely to themselves. "Well now that the kids are grown, you're officially empty nesters! How does it feel?"

It did a weird thing to my stomach, and I was constantly holding back tears, while also a little aggravated they had to bring it up. Even though my parents would never say it, I know they wish sometimes they could rewind time.

With as happy as I am to be somewhat on my own, I would be straight up lying if I said I didn't need to rely on my parents-physically, emotionally, and financially. They have been the best support system even on my worst days, and for that reason alone I can't imagine calling another home, "home" and meaning it quite like I did before.

Not everyone has a place they always feel wanted, but even on days I forget to throw the box away when I eat the last pop-tart (my dad's fav. kind by the way) and when I leave the dog out of the cage because a 15 min. appt took an hour and she chews up my mom's work charger, they still always reassure me that this will always be my home.

I'm kind of bad at this to be honest. I don't really like change, and when you spend over 15 years in the same house, getting up every morning to see the same faces, when that all stops and life changes it up, it's hard to adjust to that.

That's not to say I wasn't anticipating it because I knew the day would come eventually, but with everything in me, I almost dreaded it. I didn't dread having my own home to decorate, or having my own sense of independence, but I dreaded the day where I would have to tell my mom and dad bye to walk out of my own house, into a whole new one.

I'm most definitely that girl that would pick to have her mom as her maid of honor, and cry even thinking about dancing with my dad at my wedding one day. They're best friends and parents wrapped up into one, and not many people can say they have that kind of relationship.

I'm lucky enough to have that, and the thought of it not being as strong as it once was terrifies me.

The thing I'm constantly reminding myself is that even on days where I don't hear from my mom because she's busy, and I'm studying for a test that I maybe put off too long to study for, that won't stop our relationship from picking up right where we left it.

I may not go to bed getting to physically see my parent's in person as they fall asleep in the same spot on the couch and chair every night, but that doesn't mean I can't face-time them for an hour just to talk to them (while attempting to talk to the pets I had to leave behind as well).

Its been well over a year that I've got to experience what it's like not living at my house, and I don't know if it'll ever just feel normal. What I can tell you, is that when I'm 50 years old one day, telling my children about my life, I know some of the best memories and stories will come from this house. I'll always be eternally grateful that I'm lucky enough to say that.

Mom, Dad..

Maybe it's true, you are empty nesters.

There I said it.

Maybe..yes, I'm a grown up, and I'm no longer this little kid who needs a push in the right direction everyday when something doesn't align perfectly, but let me tell you what else I am.

I'm still a kid.

I still need that reminder to change my oil and rotate my tires. Better yet? I still need someone to show me how to do it because each time I somehow forget.

I still need help filling out my W4, and when tax season comes, figuring out what the hell I'm doing.

I'll still call you at midnight to ask why my pasta is sticking together after 11 minutes boiling on high, and I'll call you right back after to ask why it didn't stick when I threw it to the wall.

I'll still be huddled on the couch when you come home from work after having spent all night throwing up, just to have the support of knowing you're both there.

I'll be here even on days you'd rather have me gone, and I'll call even when you just talked to me a few hours ago.

You may be empty nesters, but this will always be considered home in my eyes, and I don't think that would be possible for me without the two of you, so thank you.

Thanks for giving me a place I love so much, that at any point in my life I don't hesitate coming back to.

Empty Nesters my ass,

I'll always be around.