To My Mom, Who Taught Me What Strength Is

A girl's mom is her first female role model, and mine has shaped me in so many ways.

22

Mom, I know you have had, to say the least, a challenging few years. I want more than anything for you to know how strong you have been and all that you've taught me. I think the biggest compliment you can give a woman is to say she is strong, women are so often expected to sit idly by and allow the world to happen to them and, recently, you have shown me how to turn that around. You don't allow the world to happen to you, you cause things to happen that improve your own happiness and well-being. I've learned from you that true strength comes in asking for help when you need it and sometimes sacrificing your own needs for those closest to you.

The motivation you show constantly trying to improve yourself is so admirable. Every time I come home I see more positive changes that make you a happier and more complete person. You have taught me that only I can control my own happiness and that I need to constantly find ways to make my life more enjoyable. You work to the same extent to make life better for your daughters, always giving us what we need and that little extra love and support that gets me through a lot of rough days.

It is said that young girls don't see themselves in leadership roles because they don't have a lot of female role models in leadership roles. I am so grateful for all of the amazing things you have accomplished and that you continue to show me the capabilities of women in the workforce, all while being a phenomenal Mom. You encourage me to do anything and everything I could ever dream of, allowing me to make my own decisions and never confining me to expectations. In fact, you stand up for me when people confine me to their expectations of what I should be and I can't thank you enough for it.

You have taught me to prioritize my own well-being, telling me constantly to stop trying to please others when doing so hurts me. The way you support all of my decisions yet consistently try to teach me the right way to approach them has taught me how to handle the world and allowed me to learn from my mistakes. You never reprimand me or tell me I'm doing poorly, instead, you allow me to navigate the world myself and trust that I can make good choices.

You are independent and empowered Mom, and you have more strength than you know. I will never stop learning from you and hoping that I make you proud. You make me so happy to be a part of a world where women like you exist and where mothers encourage their daughters to be everything they are capable of. I love you Mom and I hope you continue to find all the happiness in the world, I believe in you so much!