To My High School Best Friends

To My High School Best Friends

Some thoughts about our past, present, and future.

21
To My High School Best Friends
Emily Bishop

Our senior year is finally winding down. First semester is over and I still cannot believe we're almost done. I still remember that first day freshman year when we all sat together at that lunch table and a bond was formed. Of course at that time we thought that bond would last forever. We romanticized the idea of being friends forever and the six of us were unstoppable. We made it through many things like breakups, family problems, school stress, losing other friends and so much more. But as this year has passed, we have out grown each other.

The friendship we had used to be idolized. We were the group of friends who always stayed together. We never had big fights or petty drama that seemed to infect just about every high school relationship. Yes we had our differences but never many big problems. One moment the summer before senior year ultimately set our downfall into motion. Looking back on it now, and the resentment that still exists, it was a prime example of immaturity. Both the situation itself and the reaction that is occurring months later. It amazes me that we let such a stupid thing come between us. On that day, our true selves came out. It revealed what was important to each of us and those things were obviously different. We let a boy wedge a divide into our friendship and to this day some of us don't even speak. As stupid as that was, it set off and ticking clock that would slowly pull us apart.

It was bound to happen at some point that time would change us and our friendship but I always hoped it would be when we split off for college. We lost touch and outgrew each other. As sad as it is, it's okay. During high school, I was blessed with a beautiful friendship. I could completely be myself and was surrounded by five other people who I trusted with anything. Some of you, I'm closer to now than I ever was before. While others I barely speak to. Friend breakups are so much harder than any other in my opinion. Whether we want to admit it or not, we essentially broke up. Our split reminded me of when it rains when you sleep and you wake up to everything covered in water. When you go to bed everything is fine. When you wake up, you see the aftermath of the storm. Our storm seemed to go by us so quickly and silently that I one day had the realization that nothing was the same.

Even though our relationships with one another have changed, I am thankful for the things I have learned from each of you. No matter where life takes us, you will always be with me and I will be there for you. The lessons I have learned through our past four years together, some bittersweet, are all important and have shaped me into who I am today. As we graduate and begin a new chapter, I hope that we always remember the friendship we all had, both the good and the bad. I wish you all the best of luck as we finally graduate and start our new lives. Our memories will always be with me and I'm so proud of everything we have accomplished. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and we grew apart for a reason. I will always love the five of you.

I will always be rooting for you.