To My Future Roommates

To My Future Roommates

I hope this doesn't scare them away.
23

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines a roommate as one of two or more persons sharing the same room or living quarters. Urban Dictionary defines a roommate as a person that you are forced to live with in a tiny dorm room; someone who the university will ensure that you will not get along with; someone who will make your life hell, no matter how nice you are; and the reason college students don't get any sleep. During the time that I have spent living on campus, I have learned that roommates can go one of two ways. Roommates can become your best friends: dinner dates, every. single. night., joining you in your trashy procrastination habits, helping you with your homework and even occasionally buying you Chipotle (hint hint). Roommates can also be your worst nightmare: yelling at you for having friends over, telling you that you are not allowed to do your homework in YOUR OWN BEDROOM after 10pm, inviting a maintenance team into your bedroom while you are fast asleep, or covering your freshly made bed in uncooked rice. (Still not entirely sure about that one??) Let's be real, I can't be THAT bad, but to my future roommates... I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for the times that I will be up long after you have all gone to bed attempting to finish a paper. I am also sorry for complaining that I stupidly waited until the last possible moment to being writing said paper. Additionally, I am sorry for making you all read all of my papers. I am a writer, but sometimes a little reassurance can make a huge difference. (My grades thank you for this one, too.) I'm sorry for all eight of my alarms.. And the fact that they go off at all hours of the day. I work mornings, and I'm also just super lazy and naps are my favorite. Please don't judge me. (Feel free to join me, my bed is always open.) I'm sorry for shedding, and the fact that you will find all of my hair, all of the time. I'm sorry for all of the times that the full trash is entirely my fault, and I say that I'll take it out, and then I become the trash when I forget for a day and a half and one of you end up taking it out for me. And on the topic of trash, I'm sorry that you guys are finding out that that's what I am via this article. I'm sorry for doing the dishes....... three days later. I'm sorry for not changing over the toilet paper roll. I'm sorry for my constant group chat messages asking i anyone wants to get dinner. I'm also sorry for my constant group chat messages asking if anyone wants to get dessert. I'm sorry for eating your snacks, and I'm sorry for asking you all approximately a hundred times if the outfit that I am wearing makes me look fat... It's not that I don't trust your response, I just eat a lot of ice cream. I'm sorry for asking you for your opinion on something, and then casually disregarding it as I continue to make my own idiotic decisions. I am incapable of making up my own mind and just want to know your thoughts on it. I'm sorry for all of the bad movies that I'm going to make you watch, and I'm sorry for making you re-watch them a few weeks later. I'm sorry for every single one of my meltdowns that you will experience this year. I'm sorry for how often I leave the door propped open and all of the times that I forget that I left the door propped open. I am also sorry for all of the times that I knock at the door because I forgot my keys. Or I'm just too lazy to get my keys out of my bag. I'm sorry for not telling you that I'm having people over, and I'm sorry for all of the excuses that I come up with to party. As you will quickly learn, I have many flaws. After all, I am only human. But it won't be all bad. I make a mean buffalo chicken dip and I'll share my Netflix account.