To One Of My Best Friends Before She Goes Abroad

Europe has no clue what's coming.

203
Phoebe Velez

Hey, Shannon!

You're a second-semester junior now, so you're used to the whole college thing. But going abroad is a whole new ballgame. You're probably both excited and scared, but hopefully a lot less of the latter.

You're going to be studying in Ireland, France, AND Italy. That's absolutely insane and incredible, and I couldn't be happier for you. I'd offer to help pack, but we all know how useful I'd be, being that you and Rossi packed both my sister's bag and mine before we left for college (and made my bed, because who could forget that?). You've probably got that under control, but just promise me you'll leave the red shorts behind.

The picture I chose for the cover of this article is from a cruise we went on together for my sixteenth birthday. I thought it fit perfectly... as someone who's traveled with you, I know just how well your time studying abroad will go for you. You're going to experience so many amazing new things, and as the "mom" of the group, I have no doubt that you'll be fine in regards to taking care of yourself.

As far as making friends goes, you're one of the kindest and most selfless people I know, and I know you'll meet plenty of awesome people that will love you for that. Your bubbly personality and incredible loyalty will take you far - not only in this new chapter but in life in general. Just be your strong, independent, friendly, beautiful, kick-ass self, and you'll flourish.

We got this. We've spent long periods of time apart, and picked things up right where we left off the second we saw each other again. I know for sure that this will be no different. Not to say that I won't miss you - hell, I'm still home writing this and I miss you already. I'm going to miss you like you wouldn't believe, but I'm happy for you more than anything else. I know that this is going to be the most incredible experience of your life... just try to come up with some words to describe it to us when you get back.

Enjoy every moment, take lots of pictures, and send us a postcard. I'll see you soon! Break a leg, Shannon.

I love you!