Dear Mom: I Hope You Know

Dear Mom: I Hope You Know

You are my favorite person.

77
Dear Mom: I Hope You Know
Sydney Major

Dear Mom,

I just want you to know how strong you are. You've been through so much that I don't even know if I could ever comprehend how you feel. I know I'll never fully comprehend it, but I watch you from afar and stand in awe, knowing that you prevail through every trial that stands in your way. I look up to you because you're the type of woman I aspire to be. Although you can let your feelings take over, I know you only have good intentions. You've turned into a great woman after having a harsh life. I applaud you for never giving up. And after watching you never give up, no matter what brings me down I will never give up.

I just want you to know that despite all the hate that others have talked about you behind your back, you are none of those things. If someone thinks you're a disappointment then they should reconsider what they say because they don't truly know you. They might not even really want to get to know you. But that's okay, because you don't need anymore negativity in your life after dealing with such tragedies that no one wants to deal with. Everyone makes mistakes, but that doesn't make you a disappointment. It's not fair, and it's not right either; it's especially wrong that I'm the one to hear such things when you're not only my mom but also my dad. I want you to know that despite people throwing you under the bus behind your back is wrong, but you rise above it. You never stoop to their level because you know better, and I'm proud of you for that. I will always stick up for you because you're my rock.

I just want you to know that with all the hardships that have come your way you still pursue to live. You're a fighter, and you've taught me to become one, too. We fight through the times that usually break others down. I don't know how you've done it but you have and you are so amazing for doing so. Since you've taught me to be strong I know that I can handle anything just like you can. You get pushed down by society and sure, you'll let it get to you for a while but you move on and still continue to be the fighter you always are.

I just want you to know that you are my rockstar. Whenever I see the songs that you make me, it sends love throughout my soul. You are so talented, even if you doubt yourself. I love watching you sing on stage; I know you're giving it your all and I can see the love flow through you. I know that your passion for music is large and you'll never stop doing what you love. I love that you love it; it inspires me to create anything of my own. You inspire me to no end to be as creative as I can be.

I just want you to know that your taste in music has shown me the greatest hits of all musicians. My music taste is thanks to you. You showed me Lit, Kansas, Queen, Billie Holiday, Korn, and so many others that I still listen to daily. You've shown me the healing powers that come with music; depending on my mood I'll put something on to bring me up. You've taught me that creativity is very important, and with the music that I grew up listening to, it helps me create things of my own.

I just want you to know that you always know how to make me laugh. No matter what mood I'm in you can always put a smile on my face. Your goofy laugh, the goofy faces you make, the random singing that you'll do when you walk around the house...it'll always make me smile. I used to think it was weird when I was a teen, but now I know that laughter is a big part of living. Humor helps us get by, and you will always make me laugh when I need it. We're so connected that you know when I need to be cheered up, and then you do your thing and it works.

I just want you thank you for putting up with my teenage-angst years. I was a handful; dealing with depression, migraines, finding my identity...you helped me through it. Even if at the time it seemed like I was pushing you away, I was so grateful that someone still cared. I know it's your job to care, but at the time I was so lost; wondering why dad left us and resenting everything and everyone. You still stayed by my side and helped to guide my stubborn self to become a good person. You were my light when the darkness folded over my soul.

I just want you to know that I support everything you do. You have so much passion that you put into every task that you put your mind to that I know you only mean to do good. I support you in who you love. We have our disagreements from time to time about that subject only because of the pain that I feel from losing my dad, but never doubt that I don't support you in that sense. I want you to be happy, you deserve to be happy. You deserve the world.

I just want to thank you for always helping me through this illness. You have fought so hard to get me the care I need, even now as an adult. You're a mama bear; you will fight for me when the ER doctors look at me like a drug seeker. You will fight for me when doctors don't believe me when I say, "It's chronic migraines", to which they respond, "Oh, it's just a bad headache. Take some motrin". You've found neurologists and doctors to give me the treatments I need. You've helped be my voice when I couldn't speak. I can't imagine what it's like to watch your baby go through such pain; I applaud you for being the best that you can be when dealing with it. I know it angers you so much to no end to not be able to cure me, but you help me more than you know. When the depression sets in, you give me those hugs that always bring my spirit up. When the pain is too much, you'll lay by my side and rub my temples. You try everything you can to help ease my pain.

I just want to thank you for being my mom and my dad. I've only got one mom and I wouldn't want anyone else to have raised me. A bad hand was dealt to our family but you stepped up when I know you didn't have to. You could've fallen into the grief that came with the situation, but you continued to be that strong fighter you are and live for me, my sister, and more importantly yourself. I bet it's hard taking on the roll that you did, and some might ridicule you for it, but I know that you were the best that you could be. No one expects to go through a tragedy like that, and although there have been weak points in our lives, you still prevailed.

I just want you to know that I love you and you will always be my rockstar.

Love,
Your Daughter