To My College Friendships

To My College Friendships

"Your high school friends may know why, but your college friends know who you are."

17
To My College Friendships
Maranda Cooper

This is to all of my college friendships:

Whether it started in high school and grew into college, or whether it started this past year, I'm so incredibly thankful for you. So this one goes out to you for being there for me through the most stressful, challenging, frustrating, life changing, and amazing time of my life.

I made better friendships in one year of college than I did in four years of high school. It's crazy how much we change, mature, and grow up between graduation night and our first days of college life.

College was everything I expected. I'm always stressed out, tired, and broke. That's literally my personality traits now. I can't remember a time that I wasn't constantly thinking about the next paper or test I have coming up, why I'm addicted to food and online shopping, or when I'm not pushing off something important for a nap. All of this has something great in common though: I'm not alone. I have some of the best of friends by my side, just as pitiful as I am. #sorrynotsorry to my girls.

So thank you for being the person I always need. Whether it's because I need a hug, five dollars, help with some assignment, or because you're the piece of glue that's holding me together this week from going into a mental or emotional breakdown... or both.

I can't help but trust you. I see you the majority of the week and for whatever reason, I know we at least have one thing in common: we're in college together... we're in this class together. We might as well get to know each other.

You're always there when I need to complain about a different class, the smart girl who always brags about her grades, the hot guy who hasn't noticed me yet, or the stuff going on in my life.

You're always there when I can't seem to keep the tears from streaming down my face because I'm second guessing myself, when I'm doubting myself, when I'm losing hope, when I'm drowning in my own grief.

You're always there when I get overwhelmed with the upcoming test and papers, the family drama at home, the boy who broke my heart, the friend who did me wrong, the person who stole my parking spot, and even for the girl who rolled her eyes at me because I showed up in pajama pants... two days in a row.

You always have my back, even when I'm in the wrong. That's the most important type of person to have. The ones who defend your name even when you're not there. I love knowing I have at least one of those friends and I'm not going to forget that.

You always want to see me succeed. You know why I'm in college, and you know where I'm trying to go. Even if I don't know what I'm doing with my life some days, you don't let me lose sight of the path I'm here to take. You won't let me give up because you want what's best for me in all aspects: education, friendships, relationships, career, and so much more.

My most favorite thing about our friendship though... you're not afraid to tell me what's up. "Your hair looks awful, you need to wash it." You keep me on track and you don't ever let me look (too) bad in public. "He just wants to have sex with you, and that's not who you are. Don't be like the rest of the world." You aren't afraid to hurt my feelings, especially when it's saving my feelings in the long run. "It bothers me that you're doing that and this." I hear you, and thank you for making me take a second look at what I'm doing wrong. "You're being really immature and petty right now. I can't believe you would say that." You're exactly right, and I'm sorry I took out my feelings on you.

You're willing to sit down, talk out whatever the issue may be, and find the solution right then and there. You don't beat around the bush and you don't make me second guess our friendship. We're too busy and way too mature for that drama now. We left that on that high school stage the night we graduated.

All we have to worry about now is surviving these years and getting the heck out of school! We will do that... together.

So thank you for being the best of friends to me within a year. I couldn't do this outrageous thing without you.

Love, your college friendship gal.