To My College Best Friend, From Frat Basements, To The Top Of The Penthouse, I Love You

From the bottom of the frat basement, to the top of the penthouse, I love you with all of my heart.

411

Dear best friend,

College is scary. I remember walking into the quad for the very first time as a freshman. I was this 5’2 awkwardly shy red-headed girl who had no idea what the heck she was doing with her life. I was intimidated and overwhelmed with the thought that I wouldn’t fit in. It took some time, but then I met you.

It was recruitment week. I had just moved to a place where I had no one. I noticed that you were in all of my core classes and that you wanted to join a sorority too. I thought you were one of the cool girls. Younger me being younger me, I was intimidated and too nervous to introduce myself— but you did. “Hey, you’re going out for recruitment too?!”, you said with such enthusiasm. That’s where it started it all.

We got a bid into the same sorority, we always sat together in new member classes, we moved our desks across in school. You were watching a YouTube video by our favorite vlogger “oh my god you watch Aspyn too?!”, I distinctly remember popping my head over your shoulder before Propaganda and Public Opinion, “her travel vlogs are my favorite!”. From that moment on we were attached at the hip and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

The tails of the many moments we shared will live on forever. Between sitting in my dead car stuck in campus for hours, to making speedy SOS calls to recovery when tragedy struck. For all the times we dropped to the floor from laughing at the ridiculous situations we managed to find ourselves in. Thank you for always leaving your door open, my passenger seat will always be yours with an ear ready to listen.

To all the shared Dunkin’ orders to the many Nutella crepes, to the hour car rides as we anticipated our faith. You pushed me to not be so timid, to become better, to live without expectations and enjoy every single second of it. You’re the reason why I got my internship, my job and pushed me to pursue my wildest dream. When I had to make the choice pursue it, you have been there for me every step of the way and I don’t think I can’t even begin to explain how much that means to me. No situation, big or small is any match for or friendship.

I’m really not sure how I did so much life without you, because now I can’t imagine where I’d be without you telling me I have lipstick on my teeth. I’ll never be able to listen to “Drops of Jupiter”, or Post Malone’s “I Fall Apart” without screaming it on the top of my lungs and thinking of so many stories that we will be telling our kids someday— if we can get the wolds out without busting in laughter.

They say you’ll meet your soulmates in college, that you’ll probably fall in love and all. I found something better, a best friend, a future bridesmaid, my person.

I know a lot is about to change. We made it, we are graduating from this little campus we shaped into our home. We talked about all the amazing things were going to accomplish with this degree we worked so hard for. No matter how many miles the world throws at us— it doesn’t matter because we’ll always be there for each other. I know it.

From the bottom of the frat basement to the top of the penthouse, I love you with all of my heart.