To My Childhood Best Friend

To My Childhood Best Friend

When all went wrong I knew I could always find a friend in you, you have had my back 100 percent of the time since day one.

36
To My Childhood Best Friend
Alexandra Perry

To the girl that helped me through life,

I’ll never forget the first day of third grade when I ran up to you on the playground and asked if we could be best friends, to my surprise you said “yeah of course” who knew that would be the start of a forever long friendship. Now granted, we weren’t always best friends over the past 10 years, boys got in the way, friends got in the way, drama because I denied lip-syncing “best of both worlds” by Hannah Montana and told you “it’s not my fault, I just sound exactly like her”, and many other little things came into play but, in the end, you were always my rock.

When I think about the term ‘Childhood Best Friend’ you’re the first person that comes to mind. Since that day on the playground until now, we have experienced life together. We’ve gone on so many insanely fun trips. We have so many weird jokes that no one could ever figure out (and thank God for that). We know every single detail about each other. And most importantly, we have had the most dramatic and public fights known to man. Through every heartbreak we had, whether it was a boy, a death, friends, our siblings, or a fight with our parents, we always got through it together. It’s honestly hard to imagine life without you in it.

It is said that you truly don’t know someone until you’ve known them for 3-4 years and that year 7 is the ‘make it or break it’ year. Somehow, I got lucky enough to find a person who not only stayed with me through both of those (yes, even the awkward middle school phase of mine), but I got someone who stayed with me through all of that and then some. I couldn’t be happier about that…except for the fact that you know every single thing about me and you are not afraid to remind me of all of the embarrassing things I have done over the years, but don’t worry because you know I’m not afraid to do the same to you. We’ve seen each other not understanding how to play the recorder in fourth grade, to shopping at Aeropostale for the first time in fifth grade, our horribly awkward middle school phase, to us achieving our academic and extracurricular goals in high school, to balling our eyes out together when we realized that we officially didn't live three minutes away anymore when we finally got to college.

You being my childhood best friend means more to me than all of the stories, you were the person behind the stories. Good or bad news you have always been the first person I have wanted to tell everything to and no matter what happened I knew I could tell you and you would be right over with our favorite movie and my favorite snack at the time, you were the best shoulder to cry on and you still are my favorite person to celebrate with. Whether it was cheerleading or my two-minute career in the theater, I knew I could always look out and you would be there as my biggest supporter. When all went wrong I knew I could always find a friend in you, you have had my back 100 percent of the time since day one.

With all of that being said, even though we now live 113.8 miles away from each other, life is better with you. Thank you for being my future Maid of Honor, my person, the Blair Waldorf to my Serena Van Der Woodsen, the P. Sawyer to my B. Davis and most importantly my best friend.