To My Best Friend Getting Ready For Deployment

You make me proud each and every day.

314
Personal Photo

To The Person I Call My Best Friend,

One year ago was our high school graduation.

Our class sat around in anticipation, looking forward to no longer being in high school. We were all ready to take on our next chapter of life in college. But you, you had a different plan. You were ready to begin training to become an United States Marine. It is an intense journey that not many people choose to begin, let alone follow through with. But you are not like most people. You are strong and brave. So adventurous and enthusiastic about life. I knew from day 1 that you would make an incredible marine and every day you prove me right.

Deployment. That word makes my skin grow goosebumps. I knew it would happen eventually, but the time came so fast. You have trained tirelessly for this moment and I know that this is what you are meant to do. But I also know that this will not be easy for you, and there are some things that I need you to know.

First, I think about you every day.

I think about how you are sleeping and what you eat everyday. I think about how many friends you have over there and what gets you up in the morning. I think about you feeling alone and whether or not you get scared. You are in my thoughts all day of every day. I tell you this not because you are not strong enough to handle yourself, but because I want you to know that you are not forgotten back home. You are thought about each and every day.

Second, I am so incredibly proud of you.

You made the decision to devote yourself to the United States Marine Corps. You chose to leave your hometown and everything you once knew. You went through such intense training that I cannot even begin to imagine. You deliberately threw yourself into obstacles and challenges knowing that it would break you down. Yet, you rose above it all. You came back stronger than you were before and that alone makes me so proud of you.

Third, I know your journey has not been easy and it will most likely only get more difficult.

As your best friend, I am here for you. I am here for you through the easy times and the tough times, and everything that comes in between. Wherever you are sent to serve, I know you will serve with both your heart and soul. I wish you the best of luck in the next few months, though you do not need it.

Thank you for serving this country and thank you for being you.