To Kneel or Stand?

To Kneel or Stand?

Be informed before pointing fingers

35
To Kneel or Stand?

We have all seen the news, right? Maybe not. Well right now, there is a lot going on in the way of equality. Or, lack thereof. You see, we have made so much progress as a nation, but we still have a lot of problems, whether we choose to see them or not. One of the biggest issues we are facing today is racial equality. And quite a few young(er) Americans have chosen to take a stand, by kneeling. This has caused quite an uproar in the United States, saying that it is disrespectful. This article is not to pick sides, but to inform.

Let me first explain what I mean when I say they kneel. During the National Anthem at sporting events and in any other situation, instead of rising in respect to the flag, they kneel in respect to those in this nation who are still fighting for the rights that the National Anthem conveys.

Many Americans, veterans in particular, have taken a hard stance against kneeling. They think that it is incredibly disrespectful. They feel as though kneeling during the National Anthem is a slap in the face to the troops who are currently or have fought in the past for the right to stand. Many protesters against kneeling are doing it in a peaceful way, which is protected under the 1st amendment of the constitution. While some others are choosing to make threats and scare the protesters who chose to kneel. Posting these signs around an Illinois college campus, where there are many active protesters.

The protesters who kneel protest in a peaceful way. Rather than yell, or scream, or picket, they simply take a knee. It is not a distraction to the public, and they are not trying to take away from your time of respect in which you can honor those who have fought and fallen, and they are also honoring. They are also honoring those who are still fighting in their everyday lives to have the rights that those of us in the majority have.

Both of these parties are protected by the 1st amendment of the constitution, provided that the protest remains peaceful. There is a lot to each side of this issue, and most news stories only cover one side. Do not live life with your blinders on, see both sides before you decide where you stand, or kneel.