14 Reasons You Need To Be Joining A Sorority This Semester

Break the stereotypes. Sororities empower leading women!

236
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/17/636517534899061205198832790_interior-slideshow-02.jpg

I'll say it once. I'll say it a million times -- I love being in a sorority. Being in a sorority has changed my college experience for the better. Not only do I get to spend most of my time surrounded by 140 women who love and support me, I get to be apart of a legacy that is over 120 years old. I know there are a lot of stereotypes surrounding Greek life, but I'm here to tell you that sorority women are some of the hardest working people I know - in and out of the classroom. Here are some reasons why you should consider joining because it's not like what is portrayed in movies.

1. You become involved.

Getting involved on campus is 10x easier since joining a sorority. So many girls in my house have introduced me to organizations and clubs that I didn't even know were available. Our campus holds huge fundraising events throughout the school year, and every single time my sorority creates a group fundraising team.

2. You become philanthropic.

A big reason I joined a sorority is to become more involved in service. Every sorority supports their own philanthropy. A few times a semester, we have an event to raise money towards our philanthropy. Apart from supporting our own philanthropy, members are encouraged and slightly expected to volunteer their time at any organization of their choosing.

3. You meet new people.

On Bid Day 2017, I met 138 new people. These people were my sisters, my new family. On Bid Day 2018, my family grew even more. I gained 49 new sisters. Each year until I graduate, I will continue to meet new people. These people will impact my life in a positive way. Connections are endless when you join a sorority.

4. You make lifelong friendships.

As corny as it may sound, it's true. Some of my best friends are also my sisters, and I know that they will be friends for life. Our friendships were built on late night study dates, long initiation rituals, pledge class bonding and dining room shenanigans. They are strengthened by the unconditional love and support.

5. You have an incentive to excel academically.

I bet a lot of people don't know that sororities are held to high academic standards. Most houses have a minimum GPA requirement you must have before joining. Along with that, housing preferences can be determined based on academic achievements.

6. You have endless love and support.

Always want to feel loved and wanted? That is something I've experienced constantly since joining my sorority. Girls in and out of my pledge class are always willing to listen and give me advice. They push me to be the best version of myself and encourage me to pursue my passions 110%

7. You make memories that last a lifetime.

Bid day, big/little reveal, initiation and formal are just a few of the times when you will experience your best memories in Greek life, but, the memories don't stop there. Memories are made at 2:00 a.m. when the whole pledge class is eating McDonald's on the living room floor. Birthdays are basically a little holiday (especially 21st birthdays!!).

8. You get a new wardrobe.

Ever feel like you have nothing to wear? You'll never feel like that again after becoming a member. Your new favorite outfit-of-choice is anything with your letters on it. Trust me, you'll have more shirts than you'll know what to do with.

9. You are a part of something bigger than yourself.

College comes and goes quicker than you may think. I wanted to make sure I make the most of the time I spent there. Through my sorority, I found that not only am I growing as an individual, but I'm aiding in the growth of my chapter.

10. You will never feel alone.

When you live in a house of 80+ girls, you will never feel alone. In fact, you will feel more involved and more included than ever before. Someone will always be willing to go shopping, to the gym, out to eat or to the library with you.

11. You will find your role models/become a role model.

I look up to the older girls in my house all the time. Their achievements and ambitions are admirable. They motivate me to pursue my passions and strive for success. They encourage me to go the extra mile and pick me up when I fall. My sisters lead by example, and I just want to do the same for them.

12. You will have never-ending sleepovers.

Every night is a sleepover when you live in a sorority (pillow fights only happen on certain occasions)!!

13. You can go to formals.

A night to get all dolled-up and get off campus -- sign me up!

14. You find your home away from home.

Last but certainly not least, the biggest reason to join a sorority is to find a place to call home. It's a home filled with people with the same ideals and morals as you and a place where you always feel welcomed and loved. That is what my sorority offers to me.