To The Girl Trying To Do Everything, It's OK To Take Time For Yourself
Lifestyles

What's the point of working hard if you never reap the benefits of it?

1085

There's no denying it. We live in a society that idolizes being busy, one that insists that we should always be doing something productive with our time.

And using our time productively is a positive thing — at least, usually it is.

But all of us are human, and all of us need time to unwind. What's the point of working hard if you never reap the benefits of it?

If you're struggling to meet your goals all week, you should allow yourself to enjoy your weekends. If you're spending your days crossing off long to-do lists, you shouldn't feel guilty watching Netflix at night.

When it comes to productivity, balance is everything. No one can be productive 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Don't believe me? Try it. You'll be burnt out before you know it, and then you really won't be able to accomplish anything of value.

It's so easy to say "yes" to every opportunity. It's easy to believe that you can become the Energizer Bunny and do everything. Hey, maybe you can. But you won't have fun trying to do it all, and you certainly won't wind up in a good place mentally.

Accept that it's OK to say "no" to things. It's OK to put your mental health first.

We're conditioned to be hard on ourselves, to hold ourselves to high standards. And while pushing ourselves can help us to achieve our goals, it can also be taken too far.

If you're berating yourself for spending Saturday night with friends, stop. If you're feeling guilty for getting a full night of rest, stop.

If your self-talk becomes negative every time you do something just for you, there's a good chance you're pushing yourself too hard.

Repeat after me: You will get where you want to be in life. But you're allowed to enjoy the ride there.