To Every Person Who Has Felt Far From Contentment

You deserve to be happy.

245

There are some moments where I feel like I have my life together. Other times, I feel like none of my goals are within reach, consumed by other responsibilities and dried out of motivation. Finding contentment in where you are is a process, but it is attainable. Being content isn't about having the money or being successful. It is accepting where you are in life and being OK with what you have. You feel content when you are finally at a place where you can look ahead without fear. Where you are finally free from self-doubt and worry.

There will be times when you are unhappy. There will be times when you feel like you are stuck in one place. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is pause. Stop and think about all the good things around you. Take time to be thankful and connect with those you love. When you slow down, you are able to see things in a new light. Sometimes I personally get so caught up in the future, I forget about what's happening around me. I forget to focus on the things that are really important to me, which causes further unhappiness. It's almost like forgetting how to breathe. If I'm not filling my life with the things that make me happy, then it becomes harder and harder to get everything done.

You have more potential than you realize. Personal growth is a long journey. Wherever you are in life, you are still changing and learning more about yourself. Life will continue to stretch you and push you beyond what's comfortable. Part of growing is recognizing the change in your life. It's all about seeing how far you've come, and how far you have yet to go. Embracing opportunities empowers you to do more. If you're feeling stuck, look over your options and keep your eyes open to new paths you can take.

Sometimes a change in direction is good. If you are truly unhappy with where you are in this present moment, then maybe it's a sign that you should go the other way. Maybe you are missing something essential in your life. The crazy thing about college students is that we are constantly changing our minds. We change our opinions, our areas of study, and our friendships. Change is part of discovery, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Coming to a place of contentment is difficult when we are wanting to fill our life with possessions. We all struggle to be content because we are pressured by consumer culture. We are pushed to always want more. Being grateful does not come easy when we feel we are missing something vital. The problem is, we are so used to pouring our happiness into objects. Stepping back, spending less, and appreciating the people and world around you bring so much more joy. A joy that is incomparable to senseless belongings.

All of life's unknowns are exciting, and the moments we have to make the most of it should not go to waste! All we can really do is live out every moment. Things do get better. You can be happy. It all takes time to focus in on your surroundings and the areas of your life that need growth. There is so much peace in accepting where you are.