To All The Seniors Out There

Senior year... something we fantasize about from the moment we start Freshman year. I thought all my dreams would come true at that point. Most didn't. I hope you get everything you want.

I know you're not done yet but I know I needed some reassurance way before I even decided where I was going. If you stumble across this post, I hope it helps.

If you think that high school is cool, college is so much better.

Let's talk about freedom.

The freedom is great. You go to class for a couple of hours and the rest of the time is for you to do what you will. It gives you ample time to do your assignments and take on other hobbies.

However, with great freedom comes great responsibility. Oftentimes, you will find yourself struggling with assignments, not only because they're difficult, but because you procrastinated the assignment. I have been there and it sucks to have dug yourself into that hole. My advice, sometimes it is best to miss an event in favor of your future mental health. There is a time for everything. There will be other opportunities to have fun and your education is the whole reason you're there.

You will write a lot more. There are more assignments that involve writing a paper. Prepare yourself, it's not something to put off.

Participate in group discussions. I am incredibly shy and in high school, I would never speak. I was so afraid of having to speak in front of people in college. However, it adds so much to the learning experience that you have to try. Don't torture yourself but use this first semester to ease yourself into presentations or putting yourself out there. No one will judge you and if they do, then they suck.

Prioritize your mental health. It is easy to forget to sleep, eat or talk to people when the workload is tough. It is alright to take a day and find peace. Everyone needs a break once and a while, that includes you. If you ever feel sad or tired or overwhelmed, go talk to someone. Please do, they will listen. Don't feel alone because everyone goes through something like this when it feels like too much to handle.

If your first semester doesn't end so hot, it is okay, it's a huge shift and you will make mistakes. All that matters is that you make an effort and attempt to do your best. You don't have to be perfect. Focus on yourself and your education. Try your best and be confident. I promise you that it's enough.