'Tis the Season to Be Binging

'Tis the Season to Be Binging

What to Read and Watch This Winter Break

10
'Tis the Season to Be Binging

Ah winter break, a month-long solitude from the confines of deadlines, papers, studying and exams. College students relish breaks where they can go home, eat to their heart's content, visit with old friends and, most importantly, SLEEP. Yet, everyone with a library card and/or a Netflix subscription knows that the one thing that trumps even sleep is, you guessed it, bingewatching and reading your favorite books, movies and television shows. So, buckle your seatbelt and curl up with a mug of hot cocoa, because here are your must-read/watch recommendations for winter break.

READ:

1. Humans of New York Stories, Brandon Stanton

Following the wildfire popularity of his Humans of New York (HONY) Instagram account, Stanton went forward and wrote his second book, publishing never-before-seen photographs with dialogues that are insightful, witty, poignant and heartbreaking. Buy it here.

2. Milk and Honey, Rupi Kaur

A collection of poetry written by Kaur on the topics of violence, abuse, love, loss and healing, the simplicity of Kaur's words speak volumes in the hearts of her readers. It's an emotional rollercoaster read, but one of the most satisfying and unforgettable you'll ever experience. Buy it here.

3. The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins

Think Gone Girl, but instead our protagonist is an alcoholic divorcee who finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation after she witnesses key evidence while riding on her daily train commute. You'll be on the edge of your seat in suspense from start to finish. Buy it here.

WATCH: MOVIES

1. Star Wars, Episodes IV-VII

If you're like me and shaking in pure ecstasy and anticipation of Rogue One, prepare yourself for the premiere by binge-watching the entire series (I refuse to acknowledge the prequels as part of said series.)

2. Finding Dory

It's Ellen DeGeneres. And Sigourney Weaver jokes. Be still, my beating heart.

3. Elf

No Christmas celebration is complete without a Will Ferrell-induced holiday frenzy comprised of spaghetti with maple syrup and belly laughs until your stomach aches. A holiday classic that somehow, after 13 years, still has just as much magic and spirit as it did when it was released in theaters in November of 2003.
PS- Am I the only one who is MIND-BLOWN that Zooey Deschanel is Jovie?!

4. The Breakfast Club

No John Hughes will, in my opinion, ever top the humor and grit of the story of five high school students from different social circles, united one Saturday morning in detention.

5. When Harry Met Sally

The classic romantic comedy, featuring a Meg Ryans-Billy Crystal comedy duo. Plus, it concludes on New Year's Eve. Added holiday bonus!

WATCH: TV SHOWS

1. FRIENDS.

I'm sorry, but no show is more deserving of the Netflix binge-watch treatment than Friends. It'll be there for you, even when the rain starts to fall (or, ahem, snow).

2. Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

Be still, my weeping, nostalgia-driven heart.

3. The People vs. OJ Simpson

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up during the Simpson murder media frenzy, or maybe it's because I find Cuba Gooding, Jr. hot. Regardless, the drama and suspense of this show, paired with the dialogue and acting of both Gooding, Jr. and Sarah Paulson, are perfection.

4. Game of Thrones

I don't even watch GOT, but I knew enough to include it on this list because, well, "winter is coming."