Tips To Improve Your Home Security

Tips To Improve Your Home Security

Did you know that the average American home is not as secure as it should be?

29
Tips To Improve Your Home Security

Did you know that the average American home is not as secure as it should be? That's right: only one in five homes is completely protected from intruders, robbers, and burglars. And if you're one of those people who have been targets of crime, it can be a real wake-up call to put your home safety on the top of your list. But don't worry—not only is there a way for you to make sure your house is safe but there are also things you can do to prevent the most common types of home invasions, such as home security cameras and locks. With the below-mentioned trick up your sleeves, you'll be able to protect yourself from any intruder who might try to break into your home.

Install Secure Doors

Believe it or not, more than half of all burglars enter a house through the front door, which makes it imperative to upgrade your existing door.

â—Ź Make sure that the entry door has a strong, solid wood frame. The wood should be at least 1 1/4 inches thick for optimal security.

â—Ź Look for steel-reinforced jambs for extra support.

â—Ź Using a locking system that includes bolts that extend into the frame will provide maximum protection against forced entry at the most vulnerable point of your door, where it meets the jamb.

â—Ź To further enhance security, installdeadbolt locks in addition to a spring latch entry lockset, which can be easily pried open by a skilled burglar or criminal.

Secure Vulnerable Windows

The best way for you to make all your windows more secure is to install window locks from a reputable brand likePrime-line. Window alarms will also help provide a layer of security over vulnerable windows. If you have the money, consider installing shatterproof glass.

Invest in Security Lighting

Security lighting is a vital addition to any home security system. By taking advantage of motion sensors and other technologies, you can scare off intruders by ensuring that bright lights are automatically turned on whenever someone approaches your property. These lights will also make it much easier for you to see a burglar if he or she does get close, whether it's on a surveillance camera or with your own eyes.

In addition to making sure that the front of your house is well lit, remember to install security lighting in the back and sides of your house as well, since these are likely places where an intruder would try to hide. Motion sensor light bulbs have also become increasingly affordable, which means that you can take advantage of this technology without significantly impacting your energy costs. Just don't forget to turn the lights off when you leave for work in the morning!

Keep your Shrubs Trimmed

Bushes and hedges provide great hiding places for thieves, and overgrown vegetation can block the view of windows and doors. Using a pair ofpruning shear, trim bushes in such a way that they don't obstruct any views from a home's windows to prevent attempting burglars from using them as cover as they approach your home. It's also a good idea to trim away dead branches and leaves, which could be used by thieves to access upper stories or even climb into windows left open on hot days. If you're not prepared to do it yourself, hire someone who knows how to properly trim your landscaping plants with the right tools.

Install Arlo Cameras

Security cameras like Arlo cameras, are perfect for keeping an eye on any room in the house where you have valuables stored, or perhaps just around the outside of your house to see who's walking by. A couple of these cameras can also help monitor your front door for you so that if anyone comes knocking on it, you'll know about it immediately and be able to respond accordingly.

You'll want to put it somewhere where it won't be blocked by furniture or plants, but also somewhere where it won't be too obvious to an intruder that they're being watched. It might take some experimentation to find the best spot!

Arlo cameras are designed for optimal longevity but they run off of a rechargeable battery that needs to be replaced every so often (about six months). To keep them up and running, you must invest inEBL Rechargeable arlo batteries as they can be charged up to 300 times and can be used for straight six months on a single charge. The best thing is that you can charge them anytime, anywhere via Type-C or Micro USB charger. Since these batteries are made of supercell lattice technology, they contain a high volume of power juice, provide constant voltage and have the best performance overall.

Be Aware of Who Has Keys to Your House

It is important not to hide the keys in an obvious place. Think like a burglar: Where would they look first? Under the mat, over the door frame, in a fake rock next to the porch, etc. If you must hide a key somewhere on or near your property, make sure it's not in any of these places. You can also get creative—hide it inside a fake sprinkler head or at the base of a tree.

It's also worth taking into consideration how often you change your locks after moving into a new house. You never know how many people had access to the keys before you moved in, so it may be wise to get them replaced for peace of mind. You can even invest in smart keys that only require a pin code.

Don't announce when you'll be away on social media

It might seem harmless to mention that you're going on vacation, but burglars often lurk on social media, looking for signs that people will be gone from their homes for extended periods of time. Avoid posting about trips in advance and wait until after you've returned to post photos and videos from your trip.

Use a Security System

A security system is the most important thing you can do to protect your home. Whether you opt for a self-monitored or professionally monitored security system, it will act as a deterrent and help keep your family safe. Professionally monitored systems are more expensive but offer better reliability.

Install Smart Technology and Detectors

Smart technology is the combination of sensors and smart devices. Smart detectors are a type of sensor that detects a change in environment and communicates with other devices to keep your home and valuables safe from intruders. Most advanced home security systems like one fromRing Alarm come equipped with the following items:

â—Ź Motion sensors

â—Ź Smoke alarms

â—Ź Temperature regulators

â—Ź Burglar alarm system

â—Ź CCTV cameras

Takeaway

The most effective way to secure your home is to employ a common-sense approach. Keep your doors locked, and make sure they fit snugly. Install a peephole and quality deadbolts that aren't easy to jimmy open. Store sensitive items like passports and cash in hidden, secure areas of the house, like a wall safe behind your bookshelves or a fireproof box under your bed. And if you own a dog, take advantage of its superior hearing and smell by training it to alert you to the presence of an intruder. To those of you who suffer from security paranoia (and don't we all?), we hope that the above-mentioned tips will help you out and keep you protected even in dangerous circumstances!

.

Related Articles Around the Web