6 Simple Tips For The Girls Who Can't Ever Sleep

I recently saw a post that most people have trouble sleeping because it requires you to be at peace and I feel attacked.

69

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person reading this who hasn't had a rough night of sleep. Those nights when your mind switches into overdrive and before you know it you are thinking a million things a minute, tossing and turning until it's light out. Luckily for some, these nights are rare and don't happen on the regular.

Unfortunately, there are some people who experience this all to often. I used to have so so much trouble trying to fall asleep and I'm sharing some of my tips I've learned along the way to help get a better night of sleep.

1. Soft Music

Whether it be classical, acoustic, or even ocean noises, playing something softly can help your mind calm down and drift off to sleep. When it's not too loud or distracting and busy sounds its easy to listen to and eventually fall asleep to.

I have an account on Spotify and love that they have an entire Sleep genre of playlists compiled of the exact type of music and sounds I'm talking about right now. I personally enjoy peaceful guitar music to all asleep too.

2. Put your damn cell phone away

As hard as it may be, setting your phone down a good 45 minutes before falling asleep and keeping your eyes off that tiny, lit up screen can help your mind settle in for the snooze.

3. Counting 

This is something I did and still do when I find myself facing anxiety when I'm trying to sleep. My mind gets so busy thinking about this and that, so I set a number to count to and count to it repeatedly.

It's usually no higher than 4 or 5. I found that if I don't set a number to count to, I get off track and circle back to overthinking.

4. Guided Meditation 

I am far from an expert or even a teacher of meditation, I really don't even practice that often or try to share my ways. Nonetheless, this is the number one helper I have had with falling asleep.

There are several tracks available online that you can listen to, the voice literally guides you to falling asleep and I have had some great nights of rest using this technique. Don't knock it till you try it.

5. Stretching/Yoga

Like I mentioned with the meditation, I'm not an expert nor a teacher, I'm simply sharing techniques for falling asleep as someone who has had trouble with it before. Getting on the floor and doing some simple stretches, focusing a lot of the legs, can make me feel totally ready to pass out.

I don't know the science behind it but it makes your body feel better and more relaxed. And thanks for the internet there are tons of media available to follow along with an actual yoga teacher in the comfort of your home.

6. Wash your face, brush your teeth, make a to do list for tomorrow

Like I mentioned at the beginning, I recently saw a post saying people have trouble falling asleep because it requires you to be at peace. Everything could have gone wrong in your day or tomorrow may be tantalizing, but you will feel such a sense of accomplishment when you brush your teeth and wash your face and just actually take the time to prepare for a night of sleep.