Use These 10 Tips To Get Over Your 'Starting College Fears'

1. Avoid the temptation to drive back home the first couple weekends.

390

The beginning of the new school year can be a lot of change happening all at once. Despite waiting months or even years to get to this point, it affects each freshman differently. Once you are fully moved in and have said all your hard goodbyes, you eventually get to a point where you have no idea what to do next. You are finally on your own for possibly the first time in a new place with new people, and now your mommy and daddy are not here to help you.

It is time to get over all your fears! Here is some advice to help you deal with all the change.

It will be better in the long-run for you if you force yourself to try to do something social the first couple of weekends. This means finding friends to hang out with you even if that means just watching TV together in your dorm. Your campus most likely has many opening activities happening that might interest you in some way.

Solution to feeling homesick: call or video chat your parents instead. This can help alleviate any feelings of loneliness because you can still talk to them for some comfort. Call them every day if you feel it helps you the most. Just do not drive back home at the first chance of independence you have.

2. Meeting people is not difficult if you try. You will have friends!

Many incoming students have a fear of not having any friends or not meeting anyone who would want to hang out with you. This is not the case! Many campuses have tons of welcome events as part of orientation or move-in that will introduce you to so many people. As long as you make an effort to go to the events, you will meet people to hang out with.

The problem is not about finding friends. It is about finding the right people that will be good for you in the long-run.

3. Make yourself a schedule to stick by for the coming weeks.

Give yourself a nice balance between academic things as well as social events. Write down any and all homework or papers you have been assigned. Besides just putting the deadline, try to include smaller goals to help you complete parts of it along the way.

As for including social events, make sure you go to plenty! If you schedule these times with friends, you will feel much happier and healthier. My advice is to get a planner to carry around with you that shows your schedule whenever you need it.

4. Get plenty of sleep even if you want to stay up all night.

It is okay to stay up some nights to talk with friends or to watch Netflix, but try to not let it become a habit. Your parents are not there to make you go to sleep anymore, so now it is all up to you. Adequate sleep will ensure you are healthy and focused the next day. It is especially good to go to bed early if you are worried about something the next day.

The whole "go to bed, get up early" method tends to work better anyway. Your brain is most aware and the least distracted first thing in the morning (or right after a cup of coffee.) If you try to stay up all night, just know all the possible repercussions that will happen in the morning.

5. Spend some time doing things you typically used to do at home.

If you like to bring out your entire collection of markers, start that new coloring book. Read your favorite book for the 1000th time. Rewatch that Netflix series and gasp at the finale all over again. Knit your grandma a new blanket just to show her you still remember how to do it. Splatter paint a canvas with one of your roommates, then hang it up over your bed.

My point is that doing something that is familiar and comforting to you will help you overcome some of your fears. It is best to try to include all your new college friends or roommates if you can; it will make the task more enjoyable on a new level.

6. Find a new club or extracurricular to join.

College has so many opportunities to join groups that are different from you. Chances are there are at least a couple that might interest you. Often times it is not hard to create a club if you like something completely new to the school.

Get some of your friends together to join that Frisbee league. Start going to the club volleyball practices even if you want to just try it out. Crack open a book and get ready to discuss it in the library with fellow book lovers. There is a place for everyone at your school, and you just have to go figure it out for yourself.

7. Just remember that no one is here to judge you.

Possibly one of the hardest concepts to grasp during the transition from high school to college is the idea that no one judges you anymore. Most people, if not everyone, will know nothing about your past life besides what you show or tell them. You have the chance to start as a blank canvas with fresh opportunities to grow.

Take this time to show people who you really are. You no longer have to be afraid of what people may be thinking. They are in the same boat as you this time, so you should have a good start to the year. Just do not hide yourself from others; try opening up and see what happens.

8. Go eat some of that comfort food you are used to having.

My emphasis here is to eat SOME of that food without going too overboard on all those calories. For many people food can be a way to relax and to remind them of home. If you used to get stressed in high school and would eat nearly a full box of Cheez-its, feel free to go buy another one to snack on right now. Why change comforts that actually work for you?

Just remember to eat anything in moderation. The worst feeling would be to regret your food-eating decisions later when you are feeling fine again.

9. If you are worried about academics and succeeding in life, start by going to class.

You are already spending so much money to go to this school, so you might as well go to the classes included in that price. The first step to success is simply showing up (even on the hardest of days.) I know you may think this is obvious, but it can sometimes prove to be a challenge.

If you wake up late, fix it for the next time by going to bed sooner or waking up earlier. If you dread the topics or the professor, go anyway because it will only get better with immersion. If you want to waste approximately $140 just to miss one class, then good for you.

My advice is to go the class, do the work on time, and the grades will happen easier. Stop worrying unnecessarily about things that are in your control.

10. Is this where you belong?

Only you can be the true judge of whether you belong at a school or not. If something does not feel right at the beginning of the school year, give it some time. See how well you can do in your classes, see what friends you make, see what clubs or sports interest you, and then decide if you still should switch. Not everything will come naturally right away; good things sometimes take time to develop.

If something is still wrong, reach out to counselors on campus to see if they can help you. At the end of it all, it is your money you are spending, so make a good decision if you do not want to go more into debt by pushing anything back.

A friend of mine once told me that if you know you made the right decision, you will continually find reasons that support your love for the school. On the other hand, if you feel lost or unsure, your doubt will overcome you and hide all the good things. Trust your gut because sometimes that is all you can do.

College can be a scary time, but do not let that fear overwhelm you. Picture that cap and gown at the end of it all. Take my advice and just know that everything will be all right in the end. Hang in there!