Tips For Making It Through The Last Stretch Of Spring Semester

Spring semester can bring out the crazy in everyone, here's a few tips and reminders about surviving this battle arena we call college.

17
Public Domain Archive

Spring semester always seems harder than the fall semester. Whether it be all of the breaks, the accumulation of stress or being close to the finish line for the year, I have always struggle a little more in the spring. With the end of the spring semester approaching, I know that the last minute projects and exams can be a lot overwhelming. Students seem to wander around campus in a stress induced dazed and professors seem to be just a little bit more unorganized. When all you can think about is being done with the school year, it’s hard to get yourself to sit down and study. Here are a few of my tips for making through these last few weeks:

Make an organized schedule that includes all the assignments and exams you have to complete.

It can be easy to forget about a project when you get busy working on another one. Make a schedule and set deadlines for yourself. If you know exactly when everything is due it can make it easier to get things done. You don’t want to be that person who remembers an assignment or test last minute, it’s more stress than you need.

Don’t feel guilty about the small break’s you take from studying or doing homework.

I always feel end up feeling guilty about setting my computer or book down to make a last minute run to Starbucks or B-Dubs with my friends. I feel like I wasted time when I could have been doing homework. Although, the truth is your brain and your soul need those breaks. Don’t feel guilty about taking some time, you need moments to recollect yourself. Don’t run the risk of burning out, take some moments to relax with your roommates and go out and laugh with your friends. Those are the moments you’ll remember the most.

Don’t forget to rely on your support system.

Call your dad if you need to vent about the stupid project that you feel will never get done. Call your mom if you need to scream about how you can’t handle college anymore and you want to quit to work at a drive through. Call your family, vent; rely on your support system. They are the ones that will keep you going and keep you from breaking down.

Remember, no matter what the end of the semester will come.

I always try to remind myself, no matter what this will end. At some point I will reach the deadline. I know this can seem daunting, like you have so much work to do in so little time. But I like to think about it like, no matter what I will make it there.

Realize, you’re one year closer to your end goal.

You are that much closer to your goal of graduating. You made it this far, even though I am sure you didn’t think you could. You are going to make it so much farther, just don’t forget that.

Take it one project or exam at a time.

Spring semester can seem so difficult to get through, and the closer you get to finishing the harder it seems to finish. Just take it one day at a time, one project or exam at a time. If you focus on too much it can get overwhelming. Finish one thing and move onto the next, eventually you’ll make it through.

Spring semester can be one that makes you question why you are at college in the first place. You start to think about all the warm sunny beaches you could be one, instead of in the library studying. You start to think about all the careers you could have without a college degree. Out those thoughts out of your head and just keep pushing through. Because you are one step closer to making it and there is really no point in stopping now.