13 Tips For Landing Your Dream Internship This Summer

Hello, my name is "Intern."

89
The Credit Union Foundation of MD & DC

Finding an internship can be a somewhat overwhelming and stressful task as a college student hoping to excel in your chosen field. Today, landing your dream internship can open up so many doors of opportunity for future employment with a company that you are passionate about; making the process of searching, applying, interviewing, and actually diving right in to the new work environment that much more important. Here are a few key tips to landing your dream summer internship.

1. Start looking early

Most deadlines for summer internships are in the month of February, but some can be due as early as the December before the summer you are planning to intern. The last thing you want is to find yourself rushing to complete your application, squeezing in some last minute service hours, or only giving your references a few days to write your letter of recommendation (not a good way to get positive comments). Get a head start by browsing the websites of companies you would like to intern with and make a note of when their summer program applications are due. You can NEVER start too early!

2. Develop your resume and perfect your cover letter

A lot of people invest most of their time in creating the perfect resume and cover letter because it is one thing that they have complete control over in the application process. When writing your resume and cover letter, make sure that you emphasize your skills, experience, and qualities that cater directly to the position you are applying for. Will an engineering company be concerned with the fact that you have experience running the Facebook page for your school's student government? More than likely, no, but a marketing firm that is hiring a social media intern may be. It is important to know your audience and be aware of what they are searching for. Even more important: have someone else proofread your resume and cover letter. There is nothing worse than catching a grammatical error AFTER you submitted your application (oops).

3. Get a LinkedIn

There are over 180 million LinkedIn users in the world. Talk about the power of social networking! By having a developed LinkedIn profile, you are putting your best online foot forward and branding yourself as an "in the loop" professional. With all of the different forms of social media in the world today, employers will often do their research on potential candidates before they interview them. LinkedIn is an excellent outlet to harness the power of social media and highlight your strengths, accomplishments, and experiences through what is essentially your online resume.

4. Know what you want to gain from the internship

Ultimately, most college students apply for summer internships for two reasons: experience and networking. Say you landed your dream internship at the company you want to work for when you graduate college. Great! You have been given an excellent opportunity to meet the professionals already working in the industry, develop relationships with your future co-workers, and get to know the ins and outs of how the company works. But what if you applied for your ideal internship, but didn't get it and had to settle for your second option? You are still benefitting. The work experience in the field will set you apart from other competitors when you go to apply for another internship or even a job down the road.

5. Reach out to your professors and advisors

The searching process can sometimes be the most difficult part of finding a summer internship. Where do you even begin to look? Online may seem intimidating and too broad if you truly have no idea what company you would like to intern for. Try reaching out to your professors and advisors for advice. They want to see you succeed; and are great resources for students who are just beginning to start the summer internship search. Some professors may even be willing to write you a letter of recommendation or help you network with other professionals in your field; all you have to do is be bold enough to ask.

6. Talk to upperclassmen

They're old, wise, and they've been in your shoes. It may seem hard to imagine, but upperclassmen were not always upperclassmen. They have been in your position and they know how challenging finding a summer internship can be. Don't be intimidated and try to reach out to someone older than you that you know had success in the internship you have your eye on. They may have some words of advice to help you score that spot.

7. Search the Internet

Websites like internships.com, indeed.com, and internshipprograms.com (the list goes on), provide an online search engine specifically for prospective interns just like you on the hunt for their perfect fit. You can even select your preferred internship location or search by company.

8. Do your research

You wouldn't walk in to a final exam without studying, would you? The same goes for applying for and interviewing for a summer internship. Before you apply, make sure you know what you're getting in to. What is the time commitment like? Is the internship paid? Will I have to move to a new city? What are the qualification requirements? The same principle goes for when you walk in to your interview with the company you hope to intern with. Make sure you know the basic facts about the company, what they stand for, and the duties of the intern position you hope to clench.

9. Practice interviewing

This may be the most important tip on the list. Your resume and cover letter are what get you the interview spot, but the interview itself is what lands you the internship. Most companies look for personality, communication skills, and the ability to think on your feet in an interview. Your ability to excel in these areas provide insight into the kind of intern you would be, your work ethic, your ability to cooperate with others, and how well you work with a team.

12. Don't get tunnel vision

Keep an open mind when applying for internships and don't just apply for ONE. Put yourself out there and apply for multiple positions that you feel would benefit you professionally and personally. Most importantly, identify companies that offer a position that you feel passionately about and go from there. If you are not excited about the position, don't apply. There is someone else that would be thrilled to take it.

13. Be CONFIDENT!

Who says you won't land your dream internship? You will never know unless you apply. Don't be discouraged by the number of applicants the company receives, or the qualifications and prior experience of past interns. Be yourself, be confident in your abilities, and let your personality and passion for your career shine throughout the duration of the application process. And remember, everything happens for a reason.