5 Ways To Increase Your Productivity When You Want To Do Anything But Work

You can beat your struggles with concentration.

87
Flickr

Not being able to focus is something that plagues so many people. At the same time, it’s something that is often misunderstood. People who find it easier to focus often don’t understand the struggles that people with concentration issues deal with.

The truth is that it can be lonely and embarrassing. It’s hard, it’s difficult, and it feels like it’s impossible to beat. The good news is, that it is possible to seriously change your life by creating new habits. Here are my top five best tips to increase your productivity.

5. Focus Me

Seriously, this is amazing. It’s a program that you can tailor to your own concentration needs. You can use Focus Me to block your internet access at specific times, block certain websites, and even have a cycle of allowing certain sites to work at intervals that you design. It’s changed the game for me. 10/10 would recommend.

4. Rewards and punishments

Say you really want to go watch a movie with your friends on Friday night. Your best friends are going and you are so excited. But you decide that if you don’t finish your project by Thursday at midnight, you are not allowed to go. No excuses. No backing down.

Reward yourself when your work gets done and go through with the consequences if it doesn’t. People by nature want to avoid negative consequences and yearn to gain the things they want.

This is a method that can certainly motivate you if you stick to it.

3. Peer Pressure

Peer pressure? What?! That's NEVER a good thing.

I disagree when it comes to concentration and productivity. You are more likely to do your homework or work out harder in the gym if you have a friend with you who will hold you accountable. If you can’t bring yourself to finish your project on Thursday and still want to go out with your friends, your friends can stop you. Tell them in advance, and they can follow through on step four for you. You’ll be angry you ever told them about it, but wow, it will make a world of a difference.

2. Procrastinate by doing other work

I’m procrastinating on other work right now by writing this article. Except it's not really procrastination, because this is one of my jobs. I’m getting work done, by taking a break from an English assignment. So technically, I’m not really procrastinating. Don’t allow yourself to get bored or discouraged. Focus on something for five minutes, and if it drives you crazy, procrastinate by working on something else, then come back to it.

1. Be positive and grateful

You are far FAR more likely to procrastinate if you are unhappy. People who suffer from depression and negative thinking are far more likely to have concentration issues. The truth is, procrastinating and not getting your work done won’t make you feel better. You might try to distract yourself by fun things, but not being productive and feeling unsuccessful will only make you feel worse. Make a gratitude journal, write down five things you’re grateful for every day. Focus on the good in your life, the good in you, and the good you can create.