7 Tips For Girls About To Rush A Sorority

7 Helpful Tips For Girls About To Rush A Sorority

Fall semester or Fall Recruitment?

51
Lindsey D'Ambrosio

This past semester at Rowan, I rushed the sororities on campus and became a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha.

I knew even back in high school that I wanted to join a sorority in college.

I always felt like a bit of an outsider in high school and knew that, when I got to college, I wanted to find a close-knit group of girls that I could make memories with. It wasn't that I had nothing to do. I was already involved with the school newspaper and I was a part of my school's Odyssey team.

I just liked the idea of being a part of a sisterhood.

When my older sister joined her sorority, it made me want to join even more, and when the spring semester came along in my freshman year, I was beyond excited about the recruitment process.

Now that I'm an official member, my sisters have been discussing fall recruitment, and it reminded me of how I felt rushing not too long ago. Here are some things I would say to the girls thinking about rushing a sorority this incoming semester.

1. Learn about what sororities are on your school's campus.

Don't just learn the names and reputations of sororities on campus. Go the extra step and look up what the organization is about as a whole, and figure out which one you think holds values and ambitions similar to your own.

2. Rush with an open mind.

When I rushed, I was pretty set on joining a certain sorority that my sister was a part of. I already knew a lot of the girls and thought that it was where I was supposed to go. This made me become very closed-minded with a lot of the other sororities and I didn't try as much to impress.

Don't let this happen to you!

Go into recruitment with no preconceived ideas in your head. Focus solely on meeting as many of the girls as you can, finding qualities in each sorority that best relates to you. Go with your gut instinct of where you truly belong.

3. Be social!

TALK TO AS MANY GIRLS AS YOU CAN. I cannot stress this enough. Utilize your time with each organization as efficiently as possible. You want to leave good impressions on as many people as possible, not just one or two. Make sure everyone knows you.

4. Put yourself out there.

Get out of your comfort zone. Joining a sorority can be somewhat intimidating, but don't be scared to put yourself out there during rush week.

5. Be yourself.

While, yes, you do get dressed up a lot during rush week, don't dress up your personality as well. You shouldn't keep up some persona that you think everyone will approve of during rush week because, if you're accepted by a sorority, you won't be accepted for yourself. Rather, you'll be accepted for a fake image, which isn't fair to you or the organization.

Come as you are, and be accepted for being yourself.

6. Compare and contrast.

Depending on what school you go to, you can have a lot of organizations to look at. After meeting all of the girls, conversations and first impressions can blend together.

Take notes after meeting each sorority of what you liked and disliked, conversations you had, and anything else you can think of. That way, you can look back with clarity and find which one fits you the best.

7. Join for the right reasons.

No one should join Greek Life just because they want to go to a bunch of parties or because their friends are doing it. Join because you want to make memories, have new experiences, meet new people, and serve the community.

Furthermore, don't join a specific sorority because they're the "popular ones" or the "pretty girls" on campus. Forget the stereotypes and reputations of the sorority, and join because you connected with the people in it. Joining for the wrong reasons can easily set you up for failure.

Take my word for it. Like I said earlier, I thought I was supposed to join my sister's sorority. Even though I still believe those girls are great, I'm much happier that I joined Alpha Sigma Alpha instead.

While I haven't been a sorority girl for very long, it has already become one of the best decisions I have ever made. Through Alpha Sigma Alpha, I have met so many people and I found my best friends.

I'm so grateful for my sisters and cannot wait to see them all again in just a couple of short weeks when I return to Rowan. I am beyond excited to experience Recruitment Season and Rush Week from the other side of the spectrum.

To all the girls out there thinking of rushing, good luck, and if you go to Rowan, I hope to see you there! :)