3 Tips For Curbing Your Writer's Block When Your Next Essay Is Looming Over Your Head

Easy ways to unblock your writer's block.

15
person thinking when writing

We've all been there. You need to write an essay for a class but you just can't seem to find words to place on the paper or the screen. These three methods will help you find the words you need when you need them most.

​1. Familiarize yourself with your topic.

If your professor gives you a specific topic to write about, try to familiarize yourself with the topic as much as possible. Perhaps you already are very familiar with the topic and have a lot to say about it! However, if not, try to do as much research on the topic as possible. This can be done by collecting information from a variety of multiple reliable sources. For example, try using sources like Google Scholar or even books from the library. There are many articles on Google Scholar about many different topics. There are also many nonfictional books on many different topics. Familiarizing yourself with the topic or topics given will allow you to feel more comfortable with the topic or topics. It will also give you more confidence which will show in your writing. You'll also have a lot to write once you know more information about the topic!

2. Describe the objects that are around you.

Even in college, not every piece of writing will be a research paper. There are many professors who choose to have their students write fictional essays instead of research essays. However, this method can also help if you have to write a research paper because it will help you think of words to say in your paper. Look around the room in which you are attempting to write your essay. You can do this in your bedroom, a study room, the library, or anywhere else you're sitting. While you look around the room, try to focus on one object. It can be as simple as a pencil, an eraser, or even a desk lamp - really any object will work. Once you have selected an object to focus on, write down or type any adjectives that can be used to describe that object. For example, if I was to choose a pencil I might write down words like pointy, sharp, yellow, strong, sturdy, and durable. Now I examine my list see which words I may be able to use in my writing. If no words can be used from this list, simply select another object and start the process all over again. Even if you do not choose to use any of the words you have written down, this exercise will definitely help to get your creative juices flowing and help to alleviate writer's block.

3. Try walking away from the writing for a bit.

If you're still having a hard time finding the words you need, try focusing on a different task for a bit. For example, completing a productive task such as cleaning may put you in a productive mood. Going for a walk or a jog may help to ease any stress you have about writing the essay. Perhaps even completing other chores, such as getting groceries or running other errands, may help you place words on that screen. If you're in a study room, try listening to a podcast or watching your favorite TV show for fifteen minutes to de-stress yourself and warm up your mind. You may also choose to listen to soothing music to allow your mind to feel more relaxed so you can write freely. If you're in the library, try browsing through books in the fiction area. You may free up your own imagination this way. You may also find topics that you feel inspired to write about.

These three methods are sure to do one thing - make you think. Writer's block happens when you just can't think of anything to write, so what better way to solve writer's block than by thinking? Most importantly, do not stress about completing an essay for a class. Allow yourself enough time to complete the essay so if you do encounter writer's block you can try any of these three methods to end it!