5 Tips And Tricks For Walking On Campus When Everything Is Frozen
Weather

Once you've read the tips and can "safely" get a ride, make sure to have some fun and remember what it was like when you were younger and saw snow.

119
Sally Swan

You live in Kansas... more specifically Manhattan, Kansas. You were 100% aware that it is going to be cold when you got back to school but you're still surprised by the single digit temperatures and the icy streets and sidewalks.

Every time you walk through campus you witness at least four people fallen victim (literally) to the slick concrete. You look away though because no one wants to be seen falling on their back in the middle of campus and struggling to get up after bruising what feels like every vertebra and hoping your laptop screen isn't shattered.

I have lived in Kansas my whole life, lived in Manhattan for three winters, and I figured it was time to share what I have found useful in times of what seems to be "death by winter".

To start, it helps to actually wear a coat and pants. We get it, boys. You want to look tough, but your jerseys fit just fine over sweatshirts and I am sure you have big coats from the low-temperature football games you have made it to.

Tip 1. Dress for the weather you are in, not the weather you want to have.

Another simple tip, gloves and ear-warmers are prime during low temperatures. Hats are amazing and you won't realize how grateful you are to cover your little ears until you walk to class with them uncovered.

Tip 2. Love Your Melon and wear a hat or warm headband!

It's usually common to keep hand and toe warmers on you during cold sporting events or when you are participating in outdoor winter activities, but why not add to that list? Toe warmers are great especially when the snow is creeping through the seems of your tennis shoes to class. Also, why are you not covering your ankles when the wind is as frigid as can be and the snow is piled up higher than your shoes?

Tip 3. Keep extra hand and toe warmers on you for the walk to/from campus.

Tip 4. Don't wear tennis shoes, invest in a pair of rain or snow boots that will keep the ankles covered and won't let the snow sneak in to soak your socks.

We've all seen it. We've all done it. We know the exact walk everyone does when it's slick outside and they are doing everything in their power not to fall. The "sliding walk." You try to avoid eye contact with anyone around, especially someone that did not successfully cover the icy patch with their slide-walk. However, sometimes it can be best just to help them out and tell them you did it five minutes earlier.

Tip 5. Slide-walk to help keep you from slipping. Also refer back to tip 4 and wear appropriate shoes for the weather!

Hopefully, this little bit of tips will get you to class a little safer and a little bit warmer! Remember to keep your hands out of your pockets in case you do fall. It also is best to try and fall backward instead to prevent falling forward on your face or breaking an arm catching yourself.

On second thought, maybe just stay inside and avoid all the ice in general... or find a good friend to drive you safely to class.

Stay warm out there fellow students!