7 Study Methods For Visual Learners That Will Transform Your Study Session

For those who learn by seeing.

11

Visual learners often rely on imagery to recall events or processes and generally prefer graphs, charts, pictures, written instruction and other visuals over listening to information. Visual learning is a common learning style, and in classrooms is the most commonly practiced, visual learners often excel in this environment.

However, not everyone is aware of their learning style, strengths and the methods available to enhance retention. If you want to know your learning style, you can take a quiz here. Here are some tips for visual learners based on the characteristics of visual people.

1. Use whiteboards to rewrite information.

Writing down something that's difficult to remember over and over again will eventually just become muscle memory. Before a test, I will look at my notes and try and retain as much information as possible, and then write out everything I know about a topic on the whiteboard without the help of my notes. Following this, I will add in the concepts I forgot and correct what I misinterpreted, which allows me to see which areas I need to focus on. Besides this, using a whiteboard allows everything to be right in front of you, which is also satisfying if you make it look neat, which makes studying a bit more enjoyable.

2. Watch engaging videos on the topic.

I tend to watch videos when I find myself not retaining any information. This can be incredibly helpful as a supplement to reading a dry, boring textbook. Watching videos as a study method is at times enjoyable as it can feel like you aren't even studying. Videos are additionally useful in the way that they often include some kind of demonstration, which is similar to observing a hands-on experience that no powerpoint slide or textbook can give you.

3. Create flashcards and quiz yourself.

Flashcards are an extremely effective tool for memorization. For memorization-heavy classes, they are honestly a lifesaver. Tools such as Quizlet, Anki, or the good ole hand made flashcards help to facilitate active recall. They are also convenient in the way that you can review them when you wake up, are in line, or you have a couple of minutes to spare before class.

4. Create an outline with the most important topics.

Outlines allow you to determine the most important information and put it all on a couple of pages. Although there are multiple ways to formulate an outline and it really depends on the subject you are studying, one simple method is to write out the main points and include brief supporting bullets underneath. If you can effectively explain in your own words each component of your outline, then you most likely have an adequate understanding of the material.

5. Draw pictures of what is happening.

This method often helps me in science and math-based classes. For example, drawing and labeling the conic sections and memorizing how to draw them serves as a starting point for solving certain problems. Similarly, when you draw out a process in a way that makes sense to you, especially a complex process that cannot be summarized in one sentence, this allows you to gain an overall understanding of what is occurring.

6. Create graphs and diagrams to demonstrate relationships.

For visual people, drawing out graphs are an excellent way to remember the relationship between factors. For example, if two variables have a direct relationship, it is often easier to picture the two variables on each axis with a linear straight line which allows you to then remember that an increase in one causes an increase in the other and vice versa.

7. Take notes by hand and substitute symbols for words.

Visual learners often perform best when they can see what they are learning. Although this can be achieved in multiple ways, utilizing symbols can be a useful tool. This not only allows your notes to be succinct, but it also aids visual learners in memorization. For example, you may have a difficult time remembering that a decrease in volume creates an increase in pressure but may be able to easily picture a downward arrow representing volume and an upward arrow representing pressure.