11 Tips For College Freshmen Moving Away From Home

Don't forget the Kleenex and pizza

18

Dear Upcoming College Freshmen,

As you pack your bags, buy cute dorm room decorations, and wipe your mom's tears, there are some things you should remember:

1. Don't take your whole house with you to college. Your dorm room is only so big, and moving it in now and out at the end of the semester will be horrible. Don't take things you do not need!

2. Get involved in things around campus. Whether that be going to a soccer game, a theater production or open mic nights, it is important to get out. I met so many friends my first week of college.

3. Go to the dining hall and eat. The freshman 15 is real, so you might as well embrace it. Last year I ate cake for every meal, and it was great.

4. Get to know your roommate, even if your schedules are different. You are living with the person, so it is a good idea to be friends with them.

5. Make sure you get to class on time every day. College classes will be a little different than what you're used to, so it'll take a few days to figure it out.

6. Don't be afraid to talk to strangers. Make some friends! Whether it be talking to some random person that's behind you in the pizza line or the girl that is sitting beside you in algebra, they may be your new best friend.

7. Find a good show to binge watch. It is a staple in college, and sometimes you will just need to take a break and watch 24 episodes of "The Office." Trust me, it will help.

8. Don't be afraid to actually talk to your professors, especially if you go to a smaller school. They could help you study their material, be a potential reference for the future, and help you find jobs and internships. I'm Facebook friends with some of my professors.

9. Get a job. A lot of colleges offer jobs on campus, and you can not go wrong with work study. Relationships can be built, connections made, plus you will get some extra money, which is always a plus.

10. Have fun. Eat pizza in the car, go on late night Waffle House runs and eat ice cream for breakfast. College is totally the time for that, but...

11. Don't be stupid! I have seen so many people go crazy when they started college. It's not worth it. You are entering a world of freedom and independence, use it wisely!

Have fun, make friends, and eat up. College is a once in a lifetime experience!