How To To Organize Your Living Space And Stay Organized
Lifestyles

7 Tips To Organize Your Living Space And Stay Organized Throughout The Year

The process of transforming a messy space into one of complete perfection is so satisfying but the process of getting there is a pain in the butt.

233
A big, messy pile of sneakers

Cleaning and organizing are some of my favorite things to do. The process of transforming a messy space into one of complete perfection is so satisfying but the process of getting there is a pain in the butt. My end result is always worth all of the mishaps that happen. But if you're looking to clean something up, you may not want to go through so much chaos while seeking order. Having a plan or at least an idea of how to organize something is a great way to go and here are a few tips to help you if you are trying to make one.

1. Focus on one area at a time

Don't go guns a-blazin' into your cleaning and think you can work on a whole house or apartment or even room all at once. Take one area, your desk, a closet, a bookshelf, and work solely on that until it's organized. This may make things a little easier but I definitely struggle at keeping my attention on one space.

2. Let others know when you'll be working

Especially if you are someone who works on so many different places at once, like me, you need to make sure whoever is around knows what you are doing. You want them to be safe and comfortable while you are working.

3. Make a playlist that will help you focus

While cleaning, you don't want to have media playing that is going to grab your attention too much (so streaming any videos is out). Try to play some music that you can zone out to and not think about or even something with some kick to keep you motivated.

4. Don't be afraid to throw stuff out

As someone who likes to keep every memento from the past and has way too many clothes for someone who wears the same outfits all the time, I struggle to get rid of anything. But if you know you don't have any use for it, throw it away and don't give it another thought.

5. Don't be afraid to donate

On the other hand, if you have something that you have no use for but it's in good condition, consider donating it to someone you know who can appreciate it, or a place like Goodwill.

6. Ask for assistance if you need it

If you have something that you need to move that you can't do alone, or you have three baskets of things that need to be transported somewhere else, you can always try asking around for a helping hand. Not everyone enjoys cleaning, but your friends and family will hopefully be willing to help you briefly with your cleaning excursion.

7. Don't wear yourself out

It's easy to get lost to the task of putting things in their rightful place and clearing out any junk, but make sure you don't overexert yourself. Hydrating yourself and snacking, as well as taking minutes to focus on something besides the cleaning project, are definitely tasks you should incorporate into your plan to organize.