6 Tips For A First Time Cat Owner

6 Tips For A First Time Cat Owner

Some things I could have really found useful when I adopted my first cat.

15
6 Tips For A First Time Cat Owner
Kayla Resler

This past week, I adopted my first cat. His name is Isaac. He is a little baby, only a few months old and he is a handful. I love him so much, but because he is my first cat, I have had a lot of questions and moments where I didn't know what to do. So, here are some tips for a first-time cat owner.

1. Get a cat bed.

Even if you think that your cat will sleep in bed with you every night, still invest in a cat bed. I can't tell you how many times this week alone I was ready for bed and Isaac wasn't. Those moments were the biggest times that I was grateful that I invested in a cat bed.

2. Invest in a scratching post.

The Scratching Post Recreation Cat Animal Pet Cute

www.maxpixel.net

If your cat has claws, I especially recommend a scratching post so that your furniture does not get destroyed.

3. Give your kitty a mix of wet and dry food.

live.staticflickr.com

Some new cat owners may not know this, but it is really easy for a cat to become dehydrated. A way to combat this is to give your cat some wet food at night with their dinner. It is a little treat for them and it helps keep them hydrated. So it is a win-win.

4. Get a litter genie of some sort.

images.pexels.com

Cat poop smells awful. And instead of making multiple trips to the trash can outside, because you don't want that stink in your house, invest in a litter genie. There are multiple different brands to choose from, either way, it is a great investment.

5. Take your new kitty to the vet as soon as possible.

live.staticflickr.com

It is always best to get your new cat established at a vet and looked over as soon as you can. That way you have a heads up if something is wrong and you will be able to make sure that your new baby is in tip-top shape.

6. Not every cat fears the spray bottle.

www.publicdomainpictures.net

This might come as a shock, I know it did for me, but not every cat is afraid of the spray bottle. Anyone you talk to who has owned a cat in the past will tell you that the key to stopping misbehavior is to spray the cat with water when it is acting out. I tried that with Isaac, it turns out he enjoys it. So I had to find other ways to discipline my wayward child. One thing that seems to work is shaking something to make a loud noise, like a bag of pennies.