Tips For Making Good Writing Great

Tips For Making Good Writing Great

Several great tips from the fabulous team at MSU.

5
Tips For Making Good Writing Great

If there's anything I've learned writing for Odyssey, it's that writing doesn't always come very easy, particularly when you're writing on a deadline. It's hard to produce your best work when you've got so many other things on your plate - school, relationships, extracurriculars, your social life - it adds up. So I got with my wonderful team and asked them what their best tips were for improving your writing and making sure every article you publish is your best work. Here's what they had to say.

"Outline! If you're struggling, you outline the main points you want to make, then tie in the points together, then you're done!" - Odyssey Creator Stephanie Parsons

Outlining isn't just for school notes anymore! Outlining what you plan to write helps keep you organized, and allows you to see your article in its purest, most "bare-bones" form before it's completed and published.

"Keep an open mind and don't think that any article ideas are dumb!" - Odyssey Creator Mackenzie Webb

Don't let your fear decide your fate! There's no such thing as a "dumb" article idea. And don't be afraid to write about something outside your comfort zone!

"Write what makes you happy!" - Odyssey Creator Michaela Adams

This is so important! Write for yourself, and the audience will come later! If you come across as a writer who genuinely loves their craft, your readers will appreciate it, and you'll reap the rewards.

"Write as if you were telling your best friend about it. Put some feeling into it, get angry, excited, sad about it... whatever you would feel when telling your friend about it." - Odyssey Creator Stephanie Parsons

Writing personable, relatable pieces is a learned skill, and it can be difficult to master. But if you write as though you're writing to your best friend, it's far easier! Your emotions come across in a far more realistic way, and your writing sounds so much more believable.

"Always write about what YOU want to write about, don't get caught up in what's going to get the most views/shares." - Odyssey Creator Savannah Yonge

In other words, don't fall into the trap that commands you to write on a certain topic just because it's the "in" thing to write about. Don't try to appeal to anyone artificially!

"Write what comes natural to you. Don't try to force it." - Odyssey Creator Shanika Parker

Let your thoughts flow straight from your brain to your keyboard. As Ernest Hemingway once said, "The first draft of anything is always..." Well, you know what.

"Write what you feel, even if it scares you." - Odyssey Creator Savannah Yonge

This is a big one. Take risks. Write what you feel, and don't be afraid of anything. Putting yourself out there can be scary, but the reward is always worth the risk.

"Research research research. You don't want to give false information. But don't let that scare you off from writing about new things! So write what you know, even if it means learning about it as you write." - Odyssey Creator Savannah Yonge

Another big one! In an age where "fake news" is headline in itself, always make sure to do the proper research! Additionally, don't be afraid of seeking out new avenues when looking for topics. You never know what you'll learn!

Thank you very much to my wonderful creators who helped me with this piece. Keep up the good work!