10 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

10 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

Here are some tips to make your freshman year easier.

12
10 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

1. Don’t over-pack

If you’re anything like me, you crammed as many things into your car as you could before making the journey to your new school. While most of those things seem like they are must-haves, you’ll discover that you won’t end up using most of them. Pack the necessities and then once you are settled into your new dorm room, go to Target and buy those things that you never even thought of before.

2. Find your classes before the first day

College campuses are huge, and if you’ve never walked inside the buildings then you’re almost guaranteed to be late to class. Grab your schedule and your roommate, and go class-hunting. Find the building, which is most likely unlocked, and go inside to find the class. Some can be extremely hard to find, and this way you won’t look like the typical college freshman on your first day.

3. Coffee is your new best friend

Thirty-page papers and all-nighters are real, and I can promise you that you won’t be able to get it done without some caffeine in your system. Tea may give you a slight energy boost, but coffee is the only thing that will really help you to stay awake all night. Find the coffee shops ahead of time, and then study within close proximity so that you don’t have to take too much time trekking to Starbucks.

4. Don’t procrastinate

One of the biggest things you’re going to have to overcome in college is procrastination. Don’t wait until the last minute to study for an exam or to start writing a paper because I can guarantee you will regret it. Also, if you stay on top of your work, you won’t have as much to do on the weekends, which means you can hang out with your friends and be stress-free.

5. Take advantage of your meal plan

Cafeteria food may not be the most appetizing all the time, but your kind parents have already paid for it, so use your meals. There are a lot of different options around campus, so don’t waste your meal plan by going to eat off campus all the time. And if you find yourself with a lot of extra meals at the end of the week, grab some upperclassmen friends and treat them to lunch!

6. Check the weather before going to class

Oklahoma weather is extremely unpredictable and you can practically experience every season in one day. So make sure you check the weather app on your phone before leaving to walk to class! It’s also helpful to keep a compact umbrella in your backpack just in case there is a random rainfall. The first few football games are also extremely hot, so make sure you dress appropriately and drink a lot of water!

7. Go to OU/TX

There’s nothing quite like some Sooner football in the fall, so I definitely suggest getting season tickets and going to every game. However, if you aren’t able to do so, at least make sure you go to the Oklahoma vs. Texas game. It’s unlike any other game you’ll go to, and the energy in the stadium is unbelievable. The big rivalry game is not something you should miss!

8. Get involved

There are so many opportunities to get involved around campus. Find a club that is specific to your major, or join one just for fun! Many organizations participate in campus-wide events as well, so it’s a great opportunity to meet people with all types of interests. The more involved you are, the more fun your time in college will be!

9. Go to class

As tempting as it may be to skip that lecture that doesn’t take attendance, DON’T. You will miss important information that will probably be on the test, and your friend may not always let you borrow her notes. Also, professors do notice who is regularly coming to class, and may even offer bonus points for it.

10. Have fun

Lastly, have fun! This is college, and there are so many opportunities to make lifelong friends and create memories that you will keep forever. Remember to take some time out of your day for yourself so that you don’t get overwhelmed, and always say yes when you are invited to hang out with friends. These next four years of your life could be some of the greatest, so enjoy them!