Tips For First-Generation College Students

Here are a few tips to help first-generation college students!

701
Medium

Thinking about college is nerve-wracking, but when you're a first-generation student, it seems to be a little worse. You have to figure out how to apply to college on your own, may not have all the support from your parents or guardians, and your guidance counselors may not be fully equipped to answer all your questions. It may be just a huge learning experience for you, but here are a couple of tips for your college experience.

1. Always go to class. You never know when the professor will drop an important test hint or give out extra credit for attendance

Sometimes the professors won't say anything about the attendance for classes, so be prepared to go. They will see that you're invested in your education and they will take pity on you. Then, they sit back and watch the students who don't come to class crash and burn during tests.

2. If you are not a morning person, then do not schedule 8 a.m. classes. You'll never go to them

Sometimes people aren't meant to be awake at 8 in the morning. All power to the ones who can do it, though.

3. Apply for as many scholarships as you can. More scholarships = fewer loans and more refund checks!

You might have good money for a bit. You can always use your refund checks to pay for your books and materials.

4. Make sure you have a friend in each of your classes. They will become your study-buddies

I always look for people to sit with during the first week of classes so that I can start building a friendship. You never know when Becky will help you with the study guide before class starts!

5. Get involved! Join clubs or organizations that can benefit you or bring you happiness

You don't want to sit back and remember your college experience being in your room for four years. Get out and do stuff! Join your animé club, basketball club, or even a Beyoncé appreciation club!

6. Test your limits. Go out of your way to make yourself uncomfortable. It will better you

Get uncomfortable. It will make you grow as a person, and you never know when it will take you to greatness!

7. Be aware of the fact that not everyone has your best interests at heart

If you give something up, you just might get played dirty. Try to be aware of other's intentions. If they are not helping you, then get rid of them.

8. If your college has it, then join a Student Support Services (TRiO).

TRiO does work! It is awesome to be in a program that has your best interests at heart. Are you upset? Go to them. Mad? Go to them? Hungry? Well, they'll feed you. Some of the best people ever are a part of TRiO/Student Support Services!

9. Call your parents/guardians when you can. Chances are, they miss you as much as you miss them

They may not say it, but they miss you a bunch. Just call them.

10. Be open-minded. Learning about others is awesome!

If you're going to live in this world, then you need to figure out how to love and learn from others.

11. Do not limit yourself!

Major Key alert! Push yourself! Be your own biggest fan! And like DJ Khaled says above, "more wins = more success."

12. Be aware that others may not believe what you believe, so be respectful.

COEXIST! We are all here for a short amount of time. Be a good person and just go on your merry way if you don't agree with someone.

13. Hydrate! If you drink alcohol, make sure you drink water beforehand

This will help you not be hungover the next day. Plus, water is healthy (if you didn't know).

14. DO NOT ACCEPT DRINKS FROM STRANGERS!

For one, didn't your parents teach you not to accept things from strangers? It can possibly go bad really, really fast. Make a good decision and just say no.

15. Always trust your gut feeling. It may save your life!

This has saved me from some really scary situations.

16. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear

Personally, I don't drink, but all my friends do. They always tell me about drinking liquor before beer. They say you don't have a hangover afterward. I don't how much of it is the truth, but hey, it's a tip!

17. Most frat boys are awful

Just know that Brad may want more than a friend, and he might do anything to get his way. Always be aware when you go to a frat party.

18. Learn to do your taxes and your FAFSA yourself instead of letting your parents do it

They don't teach this stuff in school, but they really should.

19. Never leave your clothes in a washer after the cycle has ended.

Be ready to take them out or someone else will. You might even get some of your clothes stolen.

20. Do the same step above, but with the dryer.

GO GET YOUR STUFF!!

21. If you’re having issues with your roommate, talk to them

Don’t let the tension build to the point that you can’t stand each other. My last roommate and I did this, and it didn't end well.

22. Get to know your professors!

Most are really funny. If you're nice, participate in class, do your homework, or go out of your way to help your peers, they may bump your grade.

23. Remember that they're human and they have feelings too

When it comes time to give them feedback, be aware that they read them. So be kind, but also give good and constructive feedback.

24. Live in a residence hall your first year

It lets you meet new people and network! They might even become some of your best friends!

25. WEAR SANDALS OR FLIP-FLOPS IN THE SHOWERS IF YOU LIVE IN A HALL!

The showers are nasty. They have hair and other nasty things on the floor. People puke in them and do other disturbing things in them.

26. Get out and explore your campus

If you have to ask your friends where the financial office is, you’ve failed. Before your first week of classes, get out and go explore your campus. Try to find new ways to get to class quicker.

27. Getting a tutor does not make you look dumb. Not getting one when you need help does

Do not be embarrassed to get help. It doesn't make you dumb, and you never know -- it may push you to be one of the best in the class. If you have any academic questions, go to your advisor!

28. Lastly, have fun! This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so take advantage of it!

You do you, boo. This is a time to reinvent or invent yourself. So follow in Ms. Royale's words and ideology and "MAKE THEM EAT IT!"