8 Tips For Those Registering For Classes

Take your time and make sure you pick the classes you actually want.

12

It's that time of the semester already and I am struggling. Picking classes seem to be harder than actually taking the class which is very odd to me. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Even though this is the case, I thought of some tips that keep me on top of registration.

1. Visit an advisor.

This is probably the most important part of registering for classes. Even if you know what you're doing and don't feel like you need to go to an advisor for help, they are there to guide you through your college career. Whether it is a 10-minute session or an hour long, talking with your advisor will reassure you or make you think about different possibilities. I have had my four years planned out since I started college but I still go to my advisors every semester just to make sure I'm still on the right track.

2. Start looking at classes as soon as they open! 

You have a week between registering and enrolling but you should still start looking at classes as soon as possible. You want to make sure that you give yourself an ample amount of time to look through all of your options before choosing the best classes. There are so many options when it comes to taking classes and sometimes I wish I could take all of the classes available but that's never the case. I start looking the day classes open because it takes me forever to decide on which classes to actually take.

3. Look at the description of each class.

Some classes may seem like they're super interesting but after reading over the description, you'll realize that the class isn't exactly what it seems. Be careful when just simply looking at the title of a class because it might lead you astray. If the description of the class doesn't give you enough information, you can try to find a Facebook page for your school and ask if anyone has taken the class. Learning about a class from someone who has taken it is quite helpful because they'll be straight forward and tell you the truth.

4. Look at 'Rate My Professor'.

You won't be able to find some professors on this site but more often than not, there will be a few ratings for you to look through. Everyone is different and some people find some classes harder than others but the ratings can be pretty helpful when you're deciding whether or not to take a class with a certain professor. You do not want to end up with a crappy professor. Facebook pages are also helpful with this.

5. Make sure you're hitting all of your requirements. 

When picking classes, you have to worry about the liberal studies first and then any prerequisites you need for your classes within your major. It's easier to knock out the prereqs and school requirements early on rather than putting them off until the last minute. It also gives you a chance to breathe a bit and wean into the college lifestyle rather than jumping right in. Liberal studies and prereqs can be pretty boring but they can also be super interesting and simple as they prepare you for the harder ones within your major.

6. Have time to breathe in between classes. 

Stacking classes back to back is both a blessing and a curse. You might get done with your class day quickly but if you have multiple tests on one day, there won't be any study time in between. Plus, having to speed-walk across campus to get from one class to the next on time is a struggle. Having some time is okay but having a five-hour gap between classes also sucks because all you want to do is go home and nap instead of working on assignments.

7. Decide if you're going for morning classes or night classes. 

Whether you're an early bird or a night owl, you need to decide which one you will be for the semester before you enroll in classes. If you schedule a class during a time that you wouldn't normally be awake, you most likely will not attend that class. Be true to yourself when you're picking your classes. I know that even though I can get up for work at 6 a.m., taking an 8 a.m. is a no-go.

8. Have backup classes. 

Depending on when you can enroll, the classes you want might not be available. It's rather unfortunate but you always want to have secondary classes just in case. Since criminology is my minor, I have to wait until everyone else has enrolled before I can enroll so I rely on my second picks and sometimes, my third picks.