7 Tips For First Time Puppy Parents

7 Tips For First Time Puppy Parents

What to Plan before having a forever friend!

82
7 Tips For First Time Puppy Parents

Finding a perfect furry companion requires patience and decent research.

If you want to add a pet to your life, it is important to do the necessary research. Researching helps avoid abandoned animals. Also, I ADOPT, DON’T SHOP. Personally, my journey in finding a perfect dog suitable to my lifestyle and schedule was difficult because of unforeseen complications. I believe it is important to be serious because becoming a dog parent is a BIG deal.

After almost a year and a half of searching through shelters, family members, and organizations, I could not find a dog that would allow me to give it the best life possible. With living in an apartment complex with carpeting and ample living room space, I knew it would be best for me to adopt a small to medium sized dog. I believe bigger breeds should have reasonable yard space so they may roam freely and receive the necessary exercise. After dead ends, and “sorry, this dog has been taken already,” I soon gave up.

It was not until my mother randomly called me to tell me that my grandmother’s dog gave birth to adorable puppies. I knew I was meant to take one home because my grandmother’s dog is the perfect breed for my life. After the 8-12 week period of nursing with the mother, I followed a couple of steps to make my puppy’s life the best it can be.

1. Research puppy facts.

I cannot stress this enough. With being a new puppy mom, I researched countless articles on feeding schedules, potty training tips, and health and wellness. People often lack compassion to see that dogs are just like humans. People do not usually bring a baby home without proper research. Do the same for your new dog. Find out the Do’s and Don’ts. Your dog will thank you.

2. Save up.

The costs of pet-owning can often be hefty. But with budgeting and sales, it can be doable. With my puppy hunt, I saved up money with each paycheck. I would recommend buying the necessary products piece by piece. Each paycheck, I would buy the puppy something new. The 8-12 week nursing period allowed me to save and spend moderately.

3. Figure out what you need to buy.

The best things to buy beforehand are included a bed, leash, collar/harness, chew toys, combing brush, puppy shampoo/conditioner, toothbrush, food, crate (if necessary), training pads, a towel, blanket, and feeding bowls. These things are essential to bringing in a new pal.

4. Find a local vet.

Search up veterinarian clinics within your area. Make sure to research and read reviews on the closest place to your house. Make sure to brush up on your insurance knowledge. Some healthcare insurances cover animal expenses. If not, Groupon also has great specials for necessary vaccinations and check-ups your dog may need. This can help you avoid heavy expenses. However, make sure you research reviews and testimonials to whomever you take your animal to.

5. Make a schedule

Make a feeding schedule. I have mine written down in my notes. This schedule will help ensure your puppy is well behaved and happy. A consistent schedule can help dogs adapt to their new environment.

6. Talk to people in your household.

Dog owners are rarely at their house 24 hours a day, speak to relatives, roommates, or friends to assist in feeding or walking your dog when you may not be available. IF you know your work shift may run a bit longer, reach out to a trusted person to care for your dog in your absence. If you live alone, I would recommend looking into dog walking services or pet daycares.

7. Get ready for the love.

Today makes the first night with my new puppy and I am bursting with love. It was cuteness overload. I am both excited and nervous since this is the first puppy that I will train and take care of by myself. I prepared myself by knowing the choice I will be taking on.I feel ready. Make sure you are ready to.