Tips And Benefits Of Being Active

Tips And Benefits Of Being Active

27
Tips And Benefits Of Being Active

Between classes, midterms, clubs, sororities, and fraternities, it is hard to find a lot of free time. However, with all the stress of being busy, finding time to workout during the week has been proven to have many benefits. Being active on a consistent basis provides many advantages -- some obvious, others not so obvious -- to your health and well-being. Here are eight of the benefits.

1. Helps you sleep better. 

2. Slows aging and reduces the risk of premature death. 

3. Builds and maintains healthy muscles, bones, and joints. 

4. Strengthens and boosts your immune system (good for the upcoming flu season).

5. Improves mental acuity (can help with your memory and school work). 

6. Increases energy and endurance. Working out will give you that extra energy boost you need to get through the rest of your day and homework. 

7. Reduces stress, anxiety, and depression. A perfect study break during midterms would be a quick 30 minute workout! Not only do you get a break from doing your homework and studying, but you will get in some active minutes and help relieve stress. 

8. Reduces the risk of many diseases -- heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, breast cancer, colon cancer, and high cholesterol, just to name a few!

While being active does provide a number of amazing benefits, it is still hard to find the time -- especially when you want to nap, instead. Here are a just a few ways to increase your activity level that can help you lead a more healthy lifestyle. 

Walk. Don’t take the bus! To this day I think I am the only junior who doesn’t know how to work the bus system. But walking is such a great and relaxing way to keep your body moving. 

Take the stairs. Elevators are tempting, but try to take the stairs next time. Walking up the stairs is a great workout and can help work those quads.

Go for a run or run/walk. Madison has such beautiful running scenery all over the place. Whether you run the whole time, or run and walk, try to go for 30 minutes! 

Swim. Swimming is such a great workout, both cardio and resistance! For many people, it is also less boring and a great way to mix up your cardio workout. 

Walk to get dinner. Instead of ordering in, walk to a restaurant or get take out. 

Take a study break. Everyone wants a study break! Instead of watching Netflix the whole time, go for a quick run, walk, bike ride, or just do some burpees and jumping jacks. The activity will help keep you focused and energized when you return to your homework .

Shop. Just walking through the mall, or walking up and down State Street, will give you some active minutes for the day.   

Lift weights. If you are bored from cardio, incorporate weights. This will also help you build muscle and increase your metabolism. The weight room is not that scary, I promise).

Get a workout buddy (or group). You can help motivate each other to go on runs, walks, workout classes, etc. If you have a group you could also play sports as a more entertaining way of getting in a workout.