Tips And Tricks For Thrift Shopping

Tips And Tricks For Thrift Shopping

Everybody loves vintage.

8
Tips And Tricks For Thrift Shopping
Kim Logee

You're probably aware that we live in an aesthetic era where all the cool kids wear vintage.

This has a lot of interesting consequences, such as the fact that half the clothes you find in stores are designed to look vintage, even though they're brand-new. This really worries the older generations, who don't understand why we buy jeans with holes in them (sorry, mom and dad). The good news is that, a lot of the time, you can find all this great vintage clothing for ridiculously cheap in thrift stores, and better quality than you'll find brand new. For those of us approximately college-age, this is pretty lucky considering we're too busy paying off our college loans to purchase expensive clothes.

Unfortunately, if you're not prepared for the thrift-store experience, finding what you're looking for can be overwhelming. The following is some info you should keep in mind when thrifting:

First off: DON'T MAKE YOUR PLANS TOO SPECIFIC. The second you know exactly what you're looking for, you're doomed. Think general, ie. "denim shirts" or "high-waisted jeans," and start from there.On that note, certain things are easier to find in thrift stores than others. You'll rarely find your perfect size, considering different companies and different time periods use different sizing, so right from the get-go you should avoid looking for something in your size. Get used to knowing what will fit you just by looking at it, and learn to think over-sized. Over-sized is in (what with 90's grunge and all), and what else is better to wear over-sized than sweaters? Because sweaters, especially ones made of nice material, can be so insanely expensive when bought new, and yet generally hold up well over time, thrift stores are my number-one place to find chunky, over-sized sweaters.

No matter how large a sweater is, if I like the pattern, texture, and/or material, I can roll the sleeves up and wear them with leggings or holy jeans. Over-sized sweaters are magical, my friends. Learn to love them; it will revolutionize your life.

Another important thing to remember is that not all thrift stores are the same! Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are a different breed from little vintage and used-clothing boutiques. A curated boutique will be more expensive than a Salvation Army or a Goodwill. That said, in a boutique it may be easier to find what you're looking for, especially if you're looking for something newer, closer to your size or delicate.

Personally, I love Goodwills and Salvation Army stores. If I'm going to spend 40 dollars on something, I want it to be brand new, regardless of whether it's vintage designer or not. If, of course, you're looking for vintage designer and are willing to spend over 40 dollars for it, then by all means check out boutiques! But for me, when I'm thrift shopping, I want clothes that are sturdy, soft, and costing five dollars or less. If you feel the same, Salvation Army stores and Goodwills are the place for you! Many have sales on specific-color tags depending on the day of the week, which can mean finding the perfect clothes for two dollars or less.Another awesome thing to find in thrift stores is flannel! I love worn-in flannel that feels like it's had a few years of washing to make it soft and faded. Thrift stores are always full of flannel, even in its stranger evolutions. If you like embroidered clothes, which are making a comeback right now, check out thrift store button-up shirts. You will be simply overwhelmed by the variety of embroidered button-up shirts thrift stores have to offer.

All right, friends - a whole world of great vintage clothing awaits you! So, with these things in mind, check out your local thrift stores! Find yourself the comfiest vintage clothing for the best prices available.

The last thing I'll say is this: I hope you're all proud of me for avoiding referencing Mackelmore's hit song until this point, because it was really a struggle for me.