7 Tips For Americans Thinking Of Visiting England

Ways to ensure a Jolly Good Time in Merry Old England.

264
Triposo

Tips For Successful Hop Across the Pond

1. Always Book Enjoyable & Affordable Accommodations

No one says you have to be cheap, but saving a few pennies along the way makes a for an ever pleasant vacation stay. I highly recommend staying with relatives or a Host Family if possible, to steep yourself in the roils of British culture. If relatives or Hosts are not available, go as part of a school trip, as it is often cheaper than going on your own and if you can qualify, the school may foot the bill through scholarships or grants.

For those looking for a wholesome and relaxing environment amidst the bustle of Central London, the Highbury Centre comes to mind as a wonderful destination. It is a Christian Foreign Mission Club that caters to Missionaries, Christian Workers, and Christian Educators & Students. The rates are affordable and include a multitude of amenities.

In addition to it's central location at Aberdeen Park, it is also within a short stroll of both a bus and an underground station. The Centre itself boasts two conference rooms on the first floor, as well as two television lounges. For the peckish guest there is also an inexpensive snack and drink bar. The Centre also serves a complimentary breakfast with most of the english fixings. Each room can accommodate between one to five guests, and is equipped with a sink, closets and a tea tray. There are at least two bathrooms on every floor with showers.

2. Always Have an Oyster Card, & International Credit Card

When traveling in London, it is important to always have an Oyster Card. This is another name for a Transit Card. You can purchase them at the ticket offices in the underground. If you are coming from Heathrow, it will be right as you come out to the underground from the airport. The Oyster Card is usable for both the underground, overground, and bustTransit within the City of London.

The Oyster Card is named because the symbol for the London underground looks like an Oyster, and because the card protects your fare amount. These cards are simple touch and go cards for use at terminals and for boarding buses. It is recommended to load about £6.00 onto the card (roughly $ 7.74). You will also be charged a one time £5.00 fee for purchasing the card. The £6.00 is more than enough for about 12 days of travel on a combination of bus and underground transit. Oyster Cards come with a protective sleeve that can also carry your bank card. Do not lose your Oyster Card.

The other important card to have while in London is an international credit card or debit, such as VISA or Capital One. This will ensure you the most efficient way to exchange USD for GBP. If you choose to use cash, exchange in lump sums, rather than everyday as Banks will charge outrageous amounts in order to exchange your currency.

3. Make sure your Money is Good

The English have recently printed a new and improved £5 note. This means that the old £5 notes are no longer legal tender in England. It is highly recommended that you trade in these notes at a bank, so all of your cash is valid. I would highly recommend NatWest, as a good exchange option as they do not require you to have a bank account as other banks (such as Barclay's) do in order to trade in your old fivers.

4. Know the Local Food Scene

As an American Traveler it is important to know the culinary pallet of London. As the number one international metropolitan destination London is home to at least one eatery for every culture that inhabits London, and also includes Anglicized editions of american eateries, as well as some Europe/England only chains. I recommend budgeting between £20-30.00 per day for food. It is possible for one to spend less than £10 per day on food, however that takes some finagling on the part of the traveler.

Some handy Restaurants to know in London include Pret A Manger. Pret A Manger is wonderful little chain eatery that offers natural foods and drinks at great prices ( a full meal is usually less than £5.00. Other notable restaurants are The Crypt at St. Martin's in the Fields, The Footstool at St. John's Smith Square, The Crypt at St. Jame's Picadilly and The Real Greek. These restaurant's are good for richer food and often lay between £10-20.00 per meal. If you want a little more variety, and have expensive tastes, Fortnum & Mason Food Emporium is a wonderful shop on Picadilly Street (London's Fifth Avenue). You can eat to your heart's content for almost any price.

5. Much Ado About Water

Unlike in the United States, water is not always free in England. When in restaurants, it is always important to order tap or faucet water which is free. Most restaurants will bring you bottled water which costs anywhere between £1-5 extra per meal. While traveling remember your water bottle. Most Cafes have water stations where you can fill. Don't forget to ask for ice! In Britain it is uncommon to get ice in your drink, unless you are in a touristy restaurant. Using your water bottle is also a great way to save money when dining out, as a drink costs anywhere between 99p-£2 at most restaurants.

6. Dance to the Music

London is home to a flourishing community of professional and amateur musicians. There is always a performance happening somewhere. As you travel on the London Underground, or stroll through the street you will no doubt encounter the buskers. These are also known as street musicians and play for spare change. If you pass one that you like, listen for a few minutes and drop him or her a pence or two. Sometimes there are CD's for sale. In addition to this free entertainment, there are often Lunchtime concerts. Many churches in London, particularly St. Martin's in the Fields, St. John's Smith Square, and St. James Picadilly offer a diverse program of recitals and concerts, in almost every genre. Other free options for music are concerts in the various municipal parks around the city.

Many churches also offer beautiful organ recitals, and a daily evensong or compline. On Sundays English Cathedrals will often offer Matins in addition to the service and evensong. Westminster Abbey and Southwark Cathedrals are wonderful options for these.

Don't forget your Student ID! Often Students and Educators can purchase discount tickets to musical events with their school IDs. For Musical Theatre Lovers, TKTS is a great resource for bargain tickets.

7. Make the Most of Your Stay

It is critical that one be able to enjoy one's stay in London. This can be ensured by having flexible but realistic plans, and utilizing all of your resources. Take photographs where you can, and avoid the gift shops. I often find that practical gifts are the best, and are often within budget. It is also important to remember to have fun. I recommend journaling about your experiences, or writing about them. Also don't be afraid to mingle with the locals.

On that note, London is also a great place to utilize those years of Spanish or French you took in high school, as many people in London are not from London. Between the start of my trip, and the writing of this article, I have met people from Azerbaijan to New Zealand and almost everywhere in between.

I hope these tips make for a Jolly Good Time! Tune in next week for more tips and tricks for a walk about in London.