5 Tips You're Probably Going To Need To Follow In Your Twenties

"Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear" is a total myth.

9
Instagram

This past Monday (August 28), I had the pleasure of turning 21. Everyone, especially college students, knows about the excitement that comes with turning 21.

Not only do I get to finally drink alcohol (legally), I get to reap a ton of other benefits that come from finally turning this age (like the fact that some car places will actually let me rent a car now.)

However, I got to thinking... I'm really in my 20s now. You may be in this place too. You know what I mean, that sudden realization in the shower that you're actually in your 20s and you weren't at all prepared for this. Then the panic that follows because, holy crap, you're really not prepared for THIS.

Well thankfully for you, I compiled a list of 5 things you'll need to know for entering your 20s! However, as a fresh 21 year old, I clearly don't have all of the insights of being ~in your 20s~, that you know, a 30-year-old would have - so I asked for some advice and tips from a few of my elders, friends, and family. Although broad, I hope this article helps you take a few more steps into your 20s with confidence!

1. Don't settle.

I think this "tip" came from almost every single person I asked for 20s advice. It's a running theme, and maybe for a big reason. When it comes down to it, you're behind the wheel of your own life. But one thing people always do is get caught up in the stresses and pressures of life. When you're getting down on yourself and things just aren't going your way, don't allow yourself to settle for the situations you might find yourself in. Always strive for more, and reach as high as you can until you're truly content! So that at the end of the highway called ~life~, you'll know for sure that you tested the limitations of your sphere and that you did what you wanted, always.

2. You're not responsible for what happens to you, but you are responsible for the way that you react to it.

Although I don't necessarily consider being in my 20s as being "a grown up," I do personally think that it's the perfect time to start some serious character building and soul searching. One theme that seemed to be a pretty common answer amongst my interviewees is the responsibility of being respectful and taking on hardships with ease. And yes, even though life can get pretty heated and some things you would rather die than not react dramatically to, reacting calmly will always yield the best results. Test it out, you might be surprised.

3. Quality will always beat quantity, every single time.

Whether that be in your friendships, your relationships, or even your papers: quality will always beat quantity.

4. "Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear" is a total myth.

Every 21-year-old knows this, so now you wont be left out at the bar when someone's debating on whether to throw back a few shots or not.

5. The one and only person that you'll have from day 1 to the last day of your life is yourself.

You may be your own worst critic and enemy at times, but ultimately you're all you have at the end of the day that's permanent. Focus your energies on loving yourself and respecting, appreciating, and admiring things about yourself that you didn't before and you're bound to be a happier person. As cliche and cheesy it is, you really do have to love yourself before you can love somebody else. Every person I asked brought this up and talked about self-scaffolding and building on the ~self~, and especially how this was a major turning point in a lot of peoples' lives. Love yourself and everything else will follow.