Tip to Survive Finals Week

Tip to Survive Finals Week

The dreaded finals week is upon us! Take a look at these tips and kick finals week's ass!

13
Tip to Survive Finals Week
Photo courtesy of Sara Stevenson

Finals week is upon us! I don't know about you guys, but I have been DROWNING in papers and really pushing myself to get through these last few weeks (hence why I haven't written or posted an article here in what seems like a lifetime). After spending hundreds of hours studying and writing, consuming more coffee than is healthy for one 25 year old, and pulling more all nighters than I thought I was capable of, I am ready to enjoy summer. I'm ready to kick back in the sun and play with my kiddos.

Honestly, I'm ready to do anything that doesn't involve studying. But before I can do any of that, I need to get through finals week, and I don't know about you guys, but I'm dreading it. I know that this is, arguably, the most crucial week of the semester, but my motivation is seriously lacking. In an attempt to get my ass in gear, I sat down and started planning out my academic life for the next few weeks and I thought I'd share my quick tips for getting through finals week. I've even included some pictures!

Outline your schedule.

Jot down all the important dates: review classes, meetings with professors, test dates, due dates for papers, etc. I jot all my due dates in the monthly calendar in my planner so that I'm always aware of those dates. Since I have other extra-curricular activities going on outside of school, those are also written down, but that helps me, too; I'm able to see what days I can dedicate more time to studying.

Don't cram.

I know what you're thinking...Sara, could you be any more cliché and basic? But honestly, this is probably the best tip I can give. And believe me when I say that I know it's easier said than done. If you're trying to review for a final exam, start reviewing at least three days before the exam (if you can start reviewing sooner than that, go for it!). Carve out a little time each day to review. If you're working on writing a paper (or several papers), DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE WEEK IT'S DUE TO START WRITING! This is going to cause you a great deal of stress, and you're going to be rushing to get it finished which means, ultimately, you're probably not going to turn in your best work. I need to take my own advice here.

Annotate. Revise. Make your own study guide or outline.

This is especially helpful for visual learners. If you're studying for an exam, make an outline of the topics/chapters that are going to be on the exam. Then use that to create your own study guide -- flash cards, mind maps, WHATEVER you need to review. Keep a running list of the topics that you have trouble with so that you can revisit them. When it comes to writing papers (which, if I haven't already mentioned, I'm drowning in) I find it extremely helpful to create an outline. I write down all the important information I need for the paper, cite my sources, and plaster my notebook with sticky notes with additional information that I think I'm going to need.

The great thing about outlines is that they are extremely personalizable, so you can create it however you need in whatever style is going to help you get those papers written!

Change up your study location.

Again, I know what you're thinking: more cliché tips. But seriously. Changing up your study location can help you be more productive; sitting in the same place every single time you study is going to make you stir crazy! So change it up a little. Spend some time at home or in your dorm. Study in the library, your local coffee shop, or even the park! One of my favorite things to do is set up outside in the grass while the kiddos play; it's a change in scenery, I'm able to get work done, and I'm also able to engage with my children (and catch a tan).

Another cliché but extremely important tip -- GET ENOUGH SLEEP! This kind of goes hand-in-hand with not cramming. You don't want to be running on fumes when you walk into the classroom to take your final exam or present your final presentation. You're not going to be energized and you're not going to be motivated. Even if you've been running on only four hours of sleep throughout the entire semester, try to get close to eight hours of sleep the night before your final.

Finally, don't forget to take time for yourself.

While your grades are important, taking care of yourself is equally important. So do something that makes you happy. Get artistic -- paint, sketch, write, take photos, sing. Whatever your artistic abilities, take some time to let loose and be creative. Get some fresh air -- it really does work wonders. Go outside and take a walk. Go for a hike or a bike ride. Go play on the playground! Play with your pet(s) or go hang out with your friends. Don't let finals week cut you off from the things -- and the people -- that make you happy. Take some time from studying to relax and take care of yourself.