Pros And Cons Of Tiny Living

Pros And Cons Of Tiny Living

Some things to consider before purchasing a tiny home.

946
Pros And Cons Of Tiny Living
tinyscience

I was home alone for the better part of the weekend. When I am home alone, I watch a lot of reality TV...like a lot. I was watching HGTV (I'm pretty sure it was Fixer Upper) when I kept seeing these commercials for a show about buying tiny houses. I thought they looked super cute, but I wasn't sure how livable they really would be. So, I decided to do a little research.

Tiny houses range from about 100 to 400 square feet. They were made for people who wanted a smaller and more efficient space. The trend is really catching on right now and many people are deciding to change to a tiny lifestyle.

I think a tiny house would be a great idea for me when I graduate college. Tiny houses tend to not cost too much (it costs an average of $23,000 to build a tiny house compared to a regular house averaging at $272,000), so they sound like a great idea for someone trying to save money. Even though the concept sounds great, it can't be perfect. For anyone who is considering one day moving into a tiny home like me, here are some pros and cons to weigh before you begin tiny living.

Pro: Saving money.

Like I mentioned early, there is a substantial difference between the prices of a tiny home and a regular home. With tiny living, not all your money is going toward your house. That means you have money to pay off student loans, save for a future family, or even go on a nice vacation!

Con: You get what you pay for.

Tiny houses are inexpensive because well...they're tiny. You don't have nearly as much square footage to pay for compared to a regular house. The average square footage of a regular one-bedroom apartment ranges from 325 all the way to 720. So really, you could be living in an area smaller than your first apartment.

Pro: They can be mobile.

Many tiny homes are built on wheels for travelling purposes. If you're someone who likes to get up and go without staying in one place for too long, this could be a great option for you. You'd be able to travel while staying in your same home!

Con: It might feel too much like an RV.

To some people, the whole house on a wheels idea sounds too much like an RV, which isn't always too homey. Personally, I would rather my home stay in one place.

Pro: Lots of hidden storage.

When you're living in such a tiny space, you have to have places for storage just about everywhere! In the stairs, cabinets in the kitchen, closets...there's actually a very good amount of storage in tiny houses! I've also seen houses where the bed lifts up and there's storage under it.

Con: You might have to choose which belongings stay or go.

I love myself some clothes. So, it would be kind of hard to live in a tiny home with the size closet I need to keep the amount of clothes I want. You can always build a separate storage building or garage for the things you don't need in the house year round, but some people like to have everything in the home.

Pros: No mortgage?!

As a college student who doesn't know much about purchasing a house, the word mortgage scares me a bit. But, you might not need to worry if you're living in a tiny home! 68% of people who live in tiny homes do not pay a mortgage...that's over half. Also, 78% of tiny home people own their homes. That's a huge deal!

Con: The fad could end.

To a lot of people, the tiny house movement is just a trend. They think these houses will sell great now, but maybe in 5 years or so they won't sell. Although owning a tiny house sounds great, there's a chance you might be stuck with it. (But hey, if you already own it and paid it off, why not keep it as a second home?!)

Pro: Easy access.

A tiny house is basically just one big open space. There are some side rooms like for the bathroom, but most of it is an open concept. Some people really like the idea of having everything in one place and being able to get around your house in a small space.

Con: Not a lot of room for guests.

For some people, this could actually be a pro. But for those who enjoy hosting and having people visit, a tiny house could be a problem. The tiny home basically has a living room and kitchen with a bar top or a tiny table. You definitely wouldn't be hosting Thanksgiving! Even more problems occur for overnight guests. Most tiny homes are just one bedroom anyway, and this bedroom is usually just an open loft. Even if your guest was on a pull-out couch in the living room and you were in the loft, it would feel like you were both in the same room.

So, there you have it. Can I see myself living in a tiny home? Sure! I think they're a perfect idea for young people who do not need a whole lot of space and need to save some money. But, I would definitely not live in one long term. I have hopes for a family one day and I certainly would not want to raise kids in 100 to 400 square feet. For the person who wants to be more efficient with their money and space, consider purchasing a tiny home and taking on the tiny lifestyle!