I’m Terrified Of Tinder, But More Credit To You If You Can Just Swipe Right On Complete Strangers

I'm Terrified Of Tinder, But More Credit To You If You Can Just Swipe Right On Complete Strangers

Perhaps I am naive in thinking that you can still meet people at the library or in a coffee shop, but I'm going to hope in these seemingly "old fashion" ways until I'm proven wrong.

48
https://unsplash.com/photos/NCfIwDynL9E

If you're a college student, you are probably more familiar with the inner workings of the Tinder app than you are comfortable with how a vacuum or garbage disposal works. This isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you really don't know how to vacuum, then you may want to watch some sort of "How To" video on YouTube.

Regardless of if you realize it or not, Tinder is wildly popular throughout college campuses- Temple is no exception. So many of my close friends have profiles and have used them to find everything from casual flings to long-term boyfriends.

I think one of the reasons I have such a negative association with the app is because of some of the horror stories I've heard. I remember last semester I was in a group project for one of my classes, so we decided to make a GroupMe to brainstorm our ideas. It turned out two of the people in the group had matched on Tinder a couple days before we made the group chat, and one of them decided to address that awkward fact in the GroupMe, by asking the girl he matched with why she never messaged him back. Needless to say, that put a bit of a strain on the group's chemistry.

Another of my closest friends ended up matching with a guy who she already knew and was friends with prior to joining the app. Trusting that Tinder knows best and obviously the gods of fate brought them together, they decided to give things a whirl. Long story short, she wanted a relationship but he was on Tinder looking for "something casual," and he found more than just one casual thing. Fast forward through some heated arguments over Snapchat and a meltdown in a frat house, things didn't work out and their friendship ended there.

Call me a sucker, but I can't help but think that there are more romantic ways to meet your next partner, or perhaps your future spouse. I'm not sure how my parents would react if I brought a boy home and introduced him as my latest Tinder match. First of all, they have no idea what Tinder is so the questioning would probably start with "Is Tinder some sort of new drug the kids are doing these days?"

Maybe the more accurate way to articulate my feelings towards the app is that I'm not completely sold on the idea of online dating. Perhaps I am naive in thinking that you can still meet people at the library or in a coffee shop, but I'm going to hope in these seemingly "old fashion" ways until I'm proven wrong.

Until then, I still applaud those of you who have found love (or whatever it is you're searching for) on this app. You probably have the right idea, considering the majority of young people have resorted to swiping right rather than actually asking someone out. I'm sure before you know it, you'll be swiping by a super filtered picture of me cheesing in front of a tacky tapestry.