It's Time To Unplug For Wedding Season

It's Time To Unplug For Wedding Season

Please turn off your phones and cameras

12
It's Time To Unplug For Wedding Season

It's the beginning of summer, and you know what that means: tan lines, beaches, and yes, engagements. Our Facebook timelines and Instagram feeds are beginning to fill up with numerous pictures of the picturesque engagement your friends had along with the perfect ring, and statuses are beginning to change from "in a relationship" to "engaged," and will soon become "married." The more pictures I see on various forms of social media, the more I wonder: why are we so insistent upon posting one of the most intimate moments of our lives?

There seems to be a rise in "unplugged weddings." If you don't know what theses are, then congratulations, you probably are already "unplugged." Basically, Pinterest boards are filling up with chalkboards written in calligraphy saying "Welcome to our unplugged ceremony. We ask that you please refrain from taking pictures and turn off your cell phones and cameras." A lot of people seem to be up in arms about the fact that they can't snap 18,482 pictures of the wedding they are attending, and can't immediately tweet ,"They're officially married!" with the couple's kitschy hashtag.

Why is it so wrong for a wedding to be unplugged? Sure, being able to take photos from the newest iPhone with the best phone camera to date is nice. You think you'll be able to look back through your camera roll and reminisce on the beautiful bride or how the groom teared up when he saw her walk down the aisle; however, you won't. In actuality, you'll probably post a #throwbackthursday photo of you and the bride and groom a month after the wedding and that'll be the extent of it. Then, you'll realize that you missed most of the ceremony and the minute details of the couple's vows because you were too caught up in taking pictures for Instagram.

In all likelihood, the bride and groom hired a wedding photographer. The photographer should be the only person taking pictures during the ceremony. During the reception is a different story -- take all the low-quality iPhone pictures you want as the guests dance the night away. Let the photographer do his or her job and capture the intimate and magical moments between the bride and groom. Besides, they'll probably do a way better job at capturing the moments than you would.

All in all, there's really no need to raise pitchforks and get angry when a couple, whether it be bride and groom, bride and bride, or groom and groom, decide to have their wedding ceremony "unplugged." A lot of money was probably spent in order to make this day magical, and the couple would like their guests to be able to enjoy the ceremony to the fullest extent. I think unplugged weddings are beautiful and that all wedding ceremonies should be unplugged. The fact that we are so dependent on social media and our cell phones to capture the moments we should be fully living is sad, to be frank. So when you put on your shoes, fix your hair and sit down in the chair for the ceremony, remember to unplug. Turn off your phone and your camera- the only thing you should be pulling out of your pocket is a tissue to wipe away the happy tears.