Time To Turn Off Your Phone

Time To Turn Off Your Phone

"You used to call me on my cellphone."
8

How many of you take your cell phones everywhere? It’s like you can hardly be away from your phone without wondering what is happening on Facebook or what your best friend posted on Instagram.

It’s 2016 and everywhere you look, cell phones are there. We are walking, they are in our hands, We are eating, they are in our hands; anywhere we go, we have our phones attached.

So what would it be like to not have our phones on us? You would think it would be hard, almost like a drug addiction. But I did it, and it was amazing.

I went on a hike with a couple friends last weekend. We obviously needed our phones in the car for directions and, of course, music selection, but once we got out of the car I turned mine off and put it in my bag.

If you ask anyone who knows me they can tell you I am the worst when it comes to being on my phone, but more recently I realized I should spend more time off it and look at what is around me.

During our hike I didn’t feel the need to take out my phone to see who was texting me or what Kylie Jenner was posting on Instagram. It was nice to take in what was around me and the beauty we don’t get to see when we have our phones shoved in our faces.

If you think you can't stay off your phone, I challenge you to do it. Just think of all the notifications you are going to have when you turn it back on.

Not only are we just on our phones at home, but we are while driving. Texting, talking, Snapchatting, you name it, it has become the latest trend with driving to the point where people are losing their lives. Just yesterday four cars passed me and they all were on their phones, one guy was even checking Instagram — not kidding. He seriously couldn’t wait until he got home to check it out? That’s not just wrong, that's dangerous.

When you’re hanging out with your friends, 9/10 times you're probably on your phones for a portion of that time you're together. I can say this happens to me sometimes. I may not always know what to say, there is silence. We spend so much time scrolling social media and texting other people we forget we’re even with someone.

It is sad how our phones affect us so much in our society. Back in high school, I remember how it was so cool to text during class, but now being in college I realize how rude it is to the teacher who is trying to help you learn. I’m not going to sit here and say I have never done it because, believe me, I have and do. It's just something I am trying to stop.

If we go to school to get an education, why are we so worried about using our phones?

It’s time to put the phone down and live in the moment. Actually, live. Breathe it all in. Remember how you’re feeling in that moment and not spend the time documenting every second of your life. Frankly, no one really cares that much anyway.