Now Is The Time To Grow: Lessons From A First Year College Student

"It Takes Courage to Grow Up and Become Who You Really Are"

7
Unsplash

With this year being my first as an official college student, I've truly learned how big of an adjustment moving away from home can be (for the parents and the students). The parents have to make peace with the fact that grades and whether or not their kid goes to class is not their responsibility anymore. Similarly, the students have to come to the realization that motivation (for just about everything) is entirely up to them.

My family and I have never been much for the drama or the emotions, and we definitely don't talk every day, especially now that our schedules are so different. However, I know many students that are in constant communication with their families, usually because they're too homesick or their moms can't go 10 minutes without hovering over their shoulder, even now that they don't live with them.

Don't get me wrong—I'm not saying that talking to your families is a bad thing, but part of college is experiencing being on your own and growing into the person you are meant to be. So with that being said,

Parents:

I know it's weird not having us at home. I know it's definitely taking some adjustment to hearing someone in the shower, not hearing the music blaring from behind the bathroom door, or not being aware of what your child is always doing. I know that all of this is new, but this is what is supposed to happen. We're supposed to grow more independent, and it's important that you let us do that. Getting on our back about grades isn't the most helpful thing you could do (usually) because trust me, I guarantee you that we are already stressed. However, I can also guarantee you that we are trying our best. Please trust the fact that we will make our own mistakes and now is the time for us to do that.

Students:

Living up to parental expectations is a stressful situation in and of itself, not to mention the stress from our everyday life on campus. Trust me, I get it. Although, whether your parents would be happy or not should not be a deciding factor for everything you do in these four years. Nor should that be what you are worrying about when making decisions. You moved away from home, so it's time that you really move away from home. Of course, call your mom and tell her your love her and update her on your newest Chem exam grade or how your roommate is making you insane or how communal bathrooms are the worst (because seriously... ew), but make sure you are getting the fullest experience you can. Join new groups that make you kind of uncomfortable or take a class that you're curious about. Hangout with new people and try to be open to as many new things as possible (the most cliche advice about college ever given, but it really is important). My point is, don't spend your time in college worried about your parents, or anybody for that matter. This is your time. These are your experiences and memories. This is your life, and you are doing your best.

There comes a time where we all have to let go and grow... and now is that time.