TikTok Better Not Get Banned, It's Been Keeping Me Sane

The popular social media app, TikTok, is the main reason I can't put my phone down and I'm okay with it.

27

There is a lot of controversy surrounding TikTok but I personally try not to look into that too much.

Is it because I just want to have denial and enjoy the app for what it is? Maybe. But it's also because I don't want to think about the app ending.

As of right now, ByteDance Ltd. is joining is hoping Oracle and Walmart buy TikTok and make it an American owned company.

If you're wondering why this is happening, let me break it down for you.

TikTok is a Chinese owned app and according to President Trump, that means that it might be tracking its users and somehow meddling with U.S affairs. Therefore, he had proposed a plan to ban TikTok permanently unless a U.S company stepped up to buy it. Microsoft tried, but their deal fell through. Now it is up to Oracle and Walmart to convince Beijing officials to let the U.S control the app.

I really hope everything works out, because as sad as it is to admit, I would be so depressed without TikTok.

I remember I used to actually be against the app completely. I used to make fun of it and tell all my friends that I would never download the app because I am "better than that." Well, that was pre-quarantine Autriya talking, and post quarantine Autriya is desperately clinging onto TikTok. Now I know there is some cringe on this app, but there have also been nights when I am crying from laughter because of how funny some of the videos on my For You Page are.

Without fail, I turn to TikTok when I am sad, stressed, or just need a reason to laugh. It's hard to find your reason for happiness when things around you aren't normal. You can feel robotic and even overwhelmed if you don't stop to laugh a little bit about your day.

I think TikTok is a great outlet if you need a quick pick me up. I really hope that this app doesn't get banned because if it does, I know that I personally will be very sad. Sometimes, Instagram Reels aren't just that funny but TikTok has never failed to make me laugh.