TThomasArts

TThomasArts

Local artists with global dreams.

57
TThomasArts

Tiffany Thomas is a local artist in Florence, South Carolina. I had the pleasure to ask her a few questions about herself and her studio.

This is Tiffany, the woman in question.

Q: What did you go to school for, and when did you graduate?

A: I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to major in when I first went to college. I finally decided to go with a studio degree with concentrations in ceramics and painting. I graduated fall of 2012 from Francis Marion University.

Q: Why art?

A: Art is life for me. It's how I function. I usually am a bit bitter or disheartened when I haven't had a chance to create for a couple of days.

Q: How long have you been producing art?

A: My siblings and I have always tinkered with things and made things, even when we were small. In high school, I wrote stories, made them into small books and illustrated the characters at the bottom. I didn't realize I had a knack for being creative until college. When I think back on my childhood, I wish I would've realized it earlier.

Q: What are some things you like to do? What type of art do you specialize in?

A: I love to carve porcelain clay. I stumbled into it one day, trying to rush some pieces for a class firing. It's funny how beautiful things can come from spontaneity. I also love to paint realistic portraits on an assemblage of wood.

Q: How has Symon helped you progress artistically?

A: Symon [pictured above] has helped me focus. I'm a "big thinker," someone who sees the big picture and who knows goals, but it's hard for me to break down tasks. Because he's an artist too, we fight hard for our creative opinions, but we try to respect each other. He's also fantastic with money. Me not so much.

Q: What inspires your work? How do you describe your work? What's your preferred medium?

A: I grab inspiration from everywhere! I find it incredibly annoying when someone says they're bored. How can someone be bored in the fascinating world we live in! There's so many things around us that can be inspirational. Most of my inspiration is from nature. Trees are so strong and amazing. That's where I see the power of God.

Q: What should the community do to further support local art?

A: Buy art! Seriously! It's crazy how people will splurge and pay $20 for a meal but say a $20 for a mug is too much. The mug lasts forever, and it was lovingly crafted and created by a person. That piece of art has so much love and thought into its crevices. That's why I buy artists' pieces. I think of it as a piece of themselves.
Q: What are some things you are offering at the studio?
A: We are, first, artists, so right now where working on inventory: ceramics and paintings. We are also offering hand building classes, wheel throwing classes and children classes.

Thomasena is one of Tiffany's younger sisters, and she is a young entrepreneur in Florence — the owner of FairyCakes. Her company collaborates with Tiffany as FairyCake cupcakes are sold in the studio every Friday. I got a chance to interview Thomasena as well.

Q: Can you tell me a bit about your business' partnership with your older sister?

A: The partnership we are doing with TThomasArts is near and dear to my heart. FairyCakes is all about nostalgia, both my sister Tiffany's company, TThomasArts, and mine are influenced by our childhood. We both took the skills and knowledge we learned while we were growing up and use it now in our companies. I love the culture, beauty and craft Tiffany puts into her work. You can see the passion and love she has for it. She is the epitome of a talented young artist with determination and persistence. Always executing what she does and doesn't give up. She has always been a huge inspiration to me. It is truly a blessing to be able to partner with TThomasArts on Fridays and bring a smile to people's faces.

Make sure you stop by Tiffany Thomas' art studio on Fridays to buy a cupcake and a mug or whatever you fancy. The studio address is 167 N. Dargan Street, Florence, SC 29506.

Support Your Local Artists