Throwback List: Top 10 Films Of 2010

Throwback List: Top 10 Films Of 2010

As I look back into some of my favorite films of the decade, I wanted to give my favorites of the year from the decade so far: starting with 2010.

45
Throwback List: Top 10 Films Of 2010
Columbia Pictures/YouTube.com

It is nice every once in a while to do lists of your favorite films of a certain year, especially when it managed to release a lot of quality content. I admired 2010 when it came to films and it was the year that made me realize my true passion towards critiquing films and making films of my own. Prior to 2010, it was very rare for me to see anything that would be classified as "best picture" material, as a majority of them would be R-rated. Once my parents had realized I was mature to see these films, my whole perspective changed and there was a lot in 2010 that caught my eye. Due to that scenario, they never left my mind and they have not to this day.

Honorable Mentions:

1. "The Other Guys"

2. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"

3. "How to Train Your Dragon"

4. "The Town"

5. "The Company Men"

6. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1"

7. "True Grit"

8. "Tangled"

And with them out of the way, here are the ten films that stuck with the most from 2010.

10. "Inception"

I know that it is baffling to put Christopher Nolan's follow-up to "The Dark Knight" so low on the list, but there is no denying how enthralling the science fiction epic was from start-to-finish. Is Leonardo DiCaprio dreaming or not? We may never know, but that's okay! Inception contains a story that is so captivating and unique for its time that it continues to be on a lot of moviegoers' minds to this day. Also, Hans Zimmer needs to compose my life.

9. "The Kids Are All Right"

There aren't many films that showcase lesbian couples raising children, but Lisa Cholodenko doesn't do it an overdramatic matter with "The Kids Are All Right". Annette Bening and Julianne Moore star as the perfect couple, raising Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson until sperm donor Mark Ruffalo walks into the picture. Everyone does remarkable work in their respective roles, but Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg's screenplay is the film's true star. Not many films have been able to reach the generosity of "The Kids Are All Right", as this is one that should be recognized more than it already has.

8. "Kick-Ass"

Before "Deadpool" existed, the true R-rated superhero feature was "Kick-Ass". Matthew Vaughn brought something fresh to the genre, with mixing heart and humor, while injecting violence in the most beautiful of ways. Aaron Taylor-Johnson stars as the titular character, with terrific supporting work from Chloë Grace Moretz, Nicholas Cage, and Mark Strong. Vaughn's adaptation of the epic Mark Millar-penned graphic novel of the same name is a gem to the comic book/superhero/graphic novel film genre, but one that has the vein of a future classic.

7. "Shutter Island"

Martin Scorsese is a national treasure to cinephiles all over the world, so it shocked everyone when he stepped out of the crime world to helm a psychological thriller. Based on the Dennis Lehane novel of the same name, "Shutter Island" follows Leonardo DiCaprio as a U.S. Marshal investigating a psych ward off the coast of Boston in the 1950s. Heavily inspired by the works of Alfred Hitchcock, this was something different for Scorsese, as he brought one of his more under-appreciated works of his career. The levels of unpredictability thrown throughout "Shutter Island" are indescribable and who doesn't appreciate a great psychological thriller? If you do, then check this one out!

6. "Black Swan"

A lot of people look at this as "the ballet movie", which isn't entirely a false statement. "Black Swan", like "Shutter Island", is a psychological thriller - a horror film, in some senses. Writer-director Darren Aronofsky lead Natalie Portman to her first Academy Award win in an electrifying performance as a New York-based dancer on the verge of gaining the role of a lifetime in a production of
Swan Lake". That's the case until a rivalry sparks with Mila Kunis, who gives an outstanding performance, and the thrills go on from there. This is a film that anyone can relate to, due to the desire of wanting to achieve perfection. It is beautifully realistic but also haunting.

5. "127 Hours"

Danny Boyle's heroic tale of a man trapped between a rock and a hard place is unlike anything he had done in his, already, fantastic career. James Franco stars as real-life explorer Aron Ralston, who becomes trapped by a boulder in an isolated canyon in Utah. The story, alone, is absolutely harrowing and Franco captures the bravery of Ralston beautifully. "127 Hours" contains some of the best editing put to film in the last ten years and it is a film that never feels relaxing, with the exception of the opening 15 minutes to which he still has control of both arms. It is a very difficult film to watch, especially for that scene, but it is one that should not be ignored.

4. "Toy Story 3"

As a kid, the first two "Toy Story"films meant the world to me and walking out of "Toy Story 3", I was left with the biggest amount of tears in the world. When one throws away anything precious from their childhood, it is difficult and that is clearly shown with Andy, who still has a connection with Woody, Buzz and the gang of toys. Don't even get me started on the incinerator sequence. The whole film is beautiful and despite a fourth being in the works, this is the definite "Toy Story" conclusion that Pixar crafted together perfectly.

3. "The Fighter"

Another "Rocky", I suppose? Yes and no. There is a lot more that makes this not only a great boxing film but a great film period. Centered on the real-life brotherhood of Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg) and Dicky Ward (Christian Bale, in an Oscar-winning performance), "The Fighter" tugs at the heartstrings and depicts a grounded story about choosing what means the world to you, even if it's troubling. Amy Adams and Oscar-winner Melissa Leo are terrific additions to the David O. Russell-directed picture too. Sure, this may be a typical by-the-numbers boxing film, but there's a lot more emotional realism in this than the others we've had lately.

2. "Blue Valentine"

The best romance I've ever seen honestly. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams give career-defying performances as a married couple, that we see their relationship's rise and downfall. It is so realistic that it hurts my stomach every time I watch it. Helmed by "The Place Beyond the Pines" filmmaker Derek Cianfrance, he crafts together a romance that unlike anything ever made. "Blue Valentine" may not be one of the more re-watchable romances, but it is one that won't leave you upon your first viewing. Non-linear stories are hard to grasp audiences, but I will say that "Blue Valentine" is one of the best to do so. Also, after watching this - I don't know if I want to get married.

1. "The Social Network"

Director David Fincher and screenwriter Aaron Sorkin crafted what has already been considered a classic. "The Social Network," tells the story of Mark Zuckerberg (Academy Award nominee Jesse Eisenberg) as he sits in his Harvard dorm to create the epic social media website Facebook and the consequences that came with doing so. This is an absolutely engrossing film from beginning to end, due to Fincher's meticulous direction and Sorkin's high-octane award-winning screenplay. Andrew Garfield also gives his breakout performance here that was snubbed by the Academy, Justin Timberlake showed he can act and Armie Hammer played two guys very seamlessly. What else can be said about "The Social Network" that hasn't been said already? It's a masterpiece and if anyone disagrees, then they don't appreciate film.